Moving forward in the PigSig

the XXL shakypoo3 class is being posted.

Next on my list is the Acrylic Bender. It is quite simple to use so I think a series of structured demonstrations is all that is necessary. There is a simple jig we can build to help with the bending. We need to build a 5" tall box to help set the plastics on so it is at the same height as the heating element. This will help with larger work pieces. Some wood angle blocks will also be needed. I’ll see when my schedule allows for demos and add that to the calendar. I’ll restart a list of needed tools for the committee meeting on the 26th.

Along with the regular machining using the shakypoo, I’ll add in the use of a diamond drag bit for engraving some nice figures in platics/glass. This should parley into a future class on doing lighted signs. We can tap our friends in Electronics to help with the LED strips.

We received a nice donation of Kydex so I can see a class on holster and knife sheath building. And/or hybrid kydex leather holsters. We can likely incorporate the vacuum former into this.

Cheers! Oink!

13 Likes

oooo i am super down for working with kydex. i actually have a couple things i have a need for those.

1 Like

@brenly :: Me too! I used to do a lot of custom kydex work when I was building exec jet interiors. Fun stuff, if a bit tedious in the the prep.

kydex will be 3 or 4 projects down the road for me unless someone else with kydex experience wants to step up to teach. gotta finish getting the tools ready for the Sig.

2 Likes

Wow! That shapeoko class filled up SO QUICKLY!

mine is not online yet until Tuesday around 11 or so. I think the one that filled up was the Shakypoo 2 (the small unit). But with only 6 slots I expect mine to fill as well. cheers!

4 Likes

We used to have a hot wire bender and jig for plastic years ago. It may have been tossed.

It’s still around somewhere. Might still be next door but I know I’ve seen it recently.

i haven’t seen it since last year, but then I wasn’t looking too hard.
The bender we have will suffice plus we’ll have a heat gun to help do it manually. demos in the upcoming future.
Cheers!

The last reference I heard to it was that it was being stored/stashed under one of the lasers. This would be pre-Covid. No idea if still there.

It got moved to the old machine shop are before the move. After that who knows