Milling machines having collet issues 2023/08/13

Last night and into this morning I was working on a project in the shop.

I needed to do some milling on the part, so I went to the Bridgeport. I could not get the collet to work - it sounded like it never engaged.

So I moved over to the other mill. That one worked long enough to get my first mill into the machine, but then would not let me remove it.

Might be an air pressure issue, although the regulator on the machine was showing 80 psi.

Sorry for the delay in reporting. I forgot to do so before I left the space.

This is usually a quill position issue- the quill has to be fully retracted for the collets to engage or disengage

1 Like

There are two different problems.

That might cover the Bridgeport. I think I tried running it down then trying again on the Brideport. No joy.

The other mill worked as expected until I wanted to change bits. I was unable to remove the bit I had been using. It’s still in place as far as I know. ( It’s one from the wooden box of end mills in the cabinet. )

The quill has to be all the way up to tighten or loosen a collet, the symptom of the drawbar motor not engaging the nut on top is a high pitched loud air motor sound rather than a ratcheting sound when its engaged properly.

Sounds familiar.

Operator error strikes again…

2 Likes

It happened to me about the third time I used the bridgeport. Pretty sure I got shamed in person when I asked for help. Im sure it was far more embarrassing to me than whoever helped me out. :wink:

4 Likes