Mike Churchill making things for leather

Thank you Mike (I don’t know your name on here) for taking some time to creat leather working tools for the group.

5 Likes

@HankCowdog, Thanks for the help!

Nice stitching pony’s

I got the knobs for the ponies 3D printed out last night and the DMS logo burned into the wood via the laser. The stitching ponies are now in the CA room (top shelf in the corner).

For those wondering, stitching ponies are kind of a third hand for holding leather pieces while using a “saddle stitch” to sew the pieces together from both sides using two needles. One places the pony on a chair and sits on it. This places the working clamp end at a comfortable height for stitching.

these ponies have two sets of holes: the lower set can be used if/when working with a very large piece. They also break down for storage: I left two assembled and two stored which can be converted if/when needed.

4 Likes

Nice stitching ponies! I would suggest a minor modification though and that would be to attach leather to the jaws where they contact your project to reduce the risk of damaging your projects while stitching. I would be happy tack some on, but didn’t want to modify DMS tools without approval…or perhaps this could be a SIG mtg project if it gets ok’d. Attached is of photo of the jaws of my pony as an example of what I’m talking about.

3 Likes

They already have leather pads in place. They do not wrap over the top, but there is leather inside the jaws.

3 Likes

Hey, @HankCowdog, I used one of those Ponies yesterday, and it worked great. Thanks for making them. And I only stabbed myself with a needle one time so that’s progress… :smiley:

5 Likes