MIG welding training

Hi, newbie here. I would like to learn MIG welding for a quick project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keep an eye out on the calendar for the welding classes and related safety classes. There’s safety class tomorrow but it’s full.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16507

MIG is under Metal shop

1 Like

Additionally if you come for the monthly cleanup/committee meeting, I make a point to teach anything in the metal shop for volunteers on the spot.

It’s the first Saturday of every month starting at noon.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for those classes on the calendar.

4 Likes

I scheduled a mig class for next sunday, it will show up on the calendar Wednesday about 5:15pm. If you haven’t had hot process class come to the metalworking committee meeting next Saturday for that

So, while you won’t be able to sign up for the Hot Process safety, there’s actually a cancellation that you could fill. I promise to add you to the AD group. That’s providing that you can show up tomorrow at 1pm.

Have you gotten a working fob/card yet?

Awesome!! Thanks.

Perfect! I’ll see you there tomorrow.
Thank you!!

1 Like

Yes my card works now.

1 Like

That’s this Saturday at noon?

I don’t see it on the calendar but should be this coming Saturday. @hon1nbo will confirm

Yes this Saturday.

I’ll post it shortly on the calendar and on talk

2 Likes

I am coming to that cleanup. Do i still need to go to the MIG class if you teach there?

Also i was wondering where you might recommend i find these items i will need to get

-Fire resistant or cotton face mask.
-Leather welding gloves, mid weight
-Leather closed toe shoes or preferably boots (cheapest option please)

I know the teacher in the safety class mentioned some places to get the mask and gloves yet i did not have a chance to write that dow.

Thank you.

The class I give at the event is equivalent to the normal class.

For the face masks, Wally Waldo around the corner from DMS sells the FR/cotton ones. They also have boots but wherever you find leather or natural fiber boots is fine. I’ve personally had the same pair of redwings for almost 10 years and travelled the world with them

For everything else, either a welding supplier (Meteoplex Welding has been good to most members) or a place like Northern Tool

Extremely helpful! thank you! Will see if i can get that stuff before Sat

Metroplex welding on northwest highway about a mile west of I35
Has gloves, i also like their green forearm sleeves.
Ive gotten two long sleeve welding shirts at wally waldo on service road between valley view and valwood. First one is an Ariat Cat2 rated shirt that they stocked, it was great all winter, I also had them order me a lighter weight Cat1 rated shirt. Talk to Jessie there. They also have fire rated masks but I’ve been wearing an N95 lately and they are tighter so steam up my glasses less.

Don’t get too cheap of a helmet, I tried one of ours last week and it was terrible, I could see the arc but nothing else, you need to be able to see the molten puddle and the joint edges.p

1 Like

Gotta say I love my Redwings! Had mine for about 12 years and walked hundreds of not thousands of miles in them got wear and tear but I’d not change em for nothing. Best boots iv ever owned! Sorry to be slightly off topic

I enjoyed the clean up on Saturday and thank you for your MIG training!! It was great!!

2 Likes

I didn’t want to start a new thread, but unsure if this is the correct place:

I was trying to sign up for the MIG training this Saturday (4/17) but it says that registration is closed. Is there a way to be let in if the class is not full? (I have completed my hot process safety course). If not, I take it from this thread the best thing would be to come the first Saturday (5/1)?

Thanks!

I’m not sure what @got_tools did, but the last date to cancel is also the last date to sign up. So there’s a class out there, but nobody can sign up because it’s got an odd cancellation date (3/24). @Team_Education – is this in any way fixable??
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16566