Metalworking teachers wanted

We have a few new machines as well as existing machines that need teachers. If you are interested in teaching I plan on hosting a teach the teachers event. If you can weld at all please consider teaching welding. You don’t need to be a certified professional in order to give instruction at DMS. You just need proficiency. Please PM me if you are interested.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind teaching some welding classes once or twice a month. Blacksmithing needs to welding skills too which is something a lot of the classes I teach in blacksmithing start to be limited. I’d love to either teach a combo class that includes welding in with other blacksmith builds. Is there any other classes you’d like to have training on?

2 Likes

I can teach on machines like grinders horizontal band saws and the like . Maybe a basic metal shop orientation .

Welding:
Aluminum mig
Aluminum Tig
Tig
MiG
Stainless Tig
Stick (if someone wants to)

Other:
Tubing bender and notcher+ coldsaws(machine shop)

Ironworker
Powdercoating
Metal Shears (specifically the new one) + brake

1 Like

Honestly I think teaching bench grinders should be part of Tig welding. (Or a separate machine shop tooling class). That bandsaw has never required training but I would love if people stopped abusing it. It really should only be used to cut tube and round stock but it becomes a catch all for anyone who doesn’t have access to our better cutting tools

Sounds like y’all need me to take it up again? I could do that. What classes do you want most/first? The only one I won’t do it Aluminum MIG because it’s gross and that’s what TIG is for lol

4 Likes

I can teach MIG (steel) starting in June!
Need to get on the other side of some time-consuming work and life events in the meantime. Could probably take the Teaching class in the second half of May.

Maybe TIG (alum or non-stainless [stained? jk]) too, later, but I’d like to get more practice in for that since I’m not as experienced there.

Grinding and other general fabrication skills I’m comfortable with.
Shears and brakes as well for sheet metal, though advanced shaping is beyond current experience.
Some equipment-specific pieces I would need training on, like the new ironworker and horizontal bandsaw to ensure I’m teaching others correctly.

1 Like

Thanks for the support! I have a train the teachers slot for tonight at 6pm. Anyone who is interested in teaching is welcome to attend.

Tig/AC Tig are preferred. @nugen has been handling MiG (although I know he also prefers TIG)

Aluminum mig mostly because we invested a lot of money into the equipment so I would like to see it used. It’s also really fast and if set right is a lot less messing around than Tig.

1 Like

I have a difficult time teaching TIG, as people learn as wildly different speeds (and I prefer 1v1s), so I have been putting mainly MIG classes up. I will take the left over ones, but we can talk about that tonight.