Metals / Jewelry classes up at the space - gauging interest in classes/workshops

Hi guys - Just putting some feelers out into the space about the concept of jewelry up at the space. Things would start with the basics and we would slowly build the complexity of the courses / offerings of tools. I have at least two dedicated teachers who are very interested in getting it going up here. PMC (precious metal clay) classes in addition to that. Class fees/supply costs would be as reasonable as we can make them. Some classes/workshops would have several and some would be one day intros. Let me know if you are interested here and we will be in touch!
It’s one of the MANY things Creative Arts wants to introduce into this space. I’m telling ya - keep your eye on us…we are on fire (hardy har)

1 Like

I would be interested in both classes and some of the larger tooling items, such as the rolling mill discussed in another thread. In particular I would also like to see us acquire the various stakes, hammers, anvils, etc associated with silver/tin smithing, but I don’t know how general that interest would be.

It might be nice to start with what equipment we already have. For instance, do we have a means of firing PMC clay?

1 Like

a small little tabletop PMC kiln is ideal - it would take a bit to get it but you can hand-torch it. That’s in the works.

All make and manner to start beginner classes are in the works - we are just seeing how much interest is out in the space (I suspect its quite a bit)

Yeh, I have used a torch with varying success with PMC.

It might be worth approaching Paragon in Mesquite concerning their PMC kilns. perhaps they can cut us a deal.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend using a torch to fire them off, the results can be inconsistant, and for larger projects, it is very difficult to get the binder burned off through-out the piece. Also, melting happens.

Nathan

1 Like

Ya I know it’s not ideal.
I actually talked to a member who is a certified PMC teacher. She is now free and I just need to work with her about what she needs to get things started. So hopefully you will see that come down the pipeline.

I’ve used a torch and I know it’s hard and not ideal - but when you are in a pinch.
We would do it the right way for sure. Nothing but the best.

1 Like

I would be interested.

1 Like

Definitely looking to bring my own realm and touch to this category of teaching / learning to the Space. I’ve worked with all manners of precious metal arts and I’ll be helping prod this into life as much as I can. Thinking we might want to make up some visual physical “advertisement” to bring this into the massive public eye that doesn’t manage to make it on talk.

I’m definitely looking to cram as much as I can into one day classes and still have a meaningful learning experience. Meeting everyone else that wants to help with the project has me excited to see what is going to be brought to the table.

1 Like

yes I would be interested in metal smithing classes, PMC, even beginning wire.

1 Like

Would anyone be interested in classes in working with wire? or seed beads? or formfolded metal?

I know some workarounds for some things, such as some tools.

Something that is a lot of fun is working with Niobium. It will change colors depending on the voltage run through it. I did it in a class some years ago, but haven’t had the tools to do it since. Tools are simple with a simple voltage regulator needed.

If folks are interested I will do some more research on it

I think that many classes are a question of “If you build it they will come…” I would suggest putting together a trial class and seeing what the turnout is like.

I made a couple of minor changes to a small dividing head I built about 15 years ago for a Taig lathe to allow it to be driven by a Cordless drill (safely) to make jump rings. I created a simple 1/4" mandrel to test it, and as you can see in the crude video on this page it does the job,

I think it will work quite well for making jump rings. Of course the example in the video had me holding my cell phone and trying to control the feed of the wire with the same hand, so my example in the video isn’t very good, but one I made without the camera turned out pretty well.

Just about any round rod can be used; however, if you need a special size you can’t find, let me know. I can machine any size the chuck on the jump ring maker will hold.

That would be great for chain maille. I know a local lady that does some very nice chain maille work. I can see if she would like to teach a class.

What do I need to do to make class proposals? I can work on those this weekend

1 Like

I asked the same question earlier in the week in this thread This should get you started on the process.

http://dallasmakerspace.org/teach/

Here is the process.

2 Likes

I thought I was the only person I know who owns a Taig lathe! I found your dividing head very interesting.

Chris

1 Like