Metallic Finish ABS

Anyone have experience with a metallic finish (Gold or silver color) ABS material that works well on our printers? Someone told me there’s one that has brass particles mixed it to give it that metallic look??
I know there’s the plating class, but that option does not produce smooth/consistent results for me.

***If you are using an impregnated PLA on the Rostock, buy your own steel nozzle. The brass one on the Rostock will be completely worn away by anything abrasive.

PLA has many more options for specialty filaments like that, so using the Rostock will be your best bet. Also, those plastics will burn through the brass nozzles we have on the Rostock, so buy your own steel or other hardened nozzle.
If you are adamant about using the Polyprinter with ABS, ignore me because I have no experience and believe the Polyprinters have a nozzle capable of printing abrasive filaments.

yeah, 2nd that - for example, microcenter sells a stainless steel impregnated PLA that you can actually polish. Protopoasta has a few PLAs with other metals like Iron (which you can rust and is magnetic) also available at microcenter, but you can’t print PLA on the polyprinters.

I am not aware of any metal impregnated ABS filaments - inland’s silver looks good, but it’s still pretty plasticy.

there are some other shiny PLAs, but that doesn’t help you (like polyalchimy elixr or amazon C3d silk)

This Instructable uses SmoothOn resin and powdered iron to give a rusty iron finish to a 3D printed door knocker. Perhaps this is a technique you could try - minus the rusting?

3 Likes