Metal Work Masters on Netflix

I thought some people might be interested in watching this on Netflix.

6 Likes

Imma have to check that out, thanks!

Here lately I have been watching a lot of man-at-arms on YouTube.
When I’m not driving in rush-hour traffic, I’ll see if I can find a link to some of my favorites and post them.

1 Like

Just added it to my watchlist, but I noticed the entire competition is only 6 episodes that are only ~30 minutes each. :flushed: That’s not much a show. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I don’t understand why each episode isn’t 1 hour long. They’re obviously not going to be able to show much or teach the audience much about metal art. :thinking:

I’m still going to watch it though…

I watched the series last night on a mini-binge. It’s a fun show, it’s an elimination contest, they are given so pretty weird challenges, and one is eliminated after each show.

It’s not a “HOW TO”, it’s more of a “What’s possible” and contestants are judged technical and creative ability. More inspirational to try and make something.

I think it would be great if DMS could sponsor some in-house min-contests like this. This would be unbelievable PR for DMS as well as drive competition: Metal Shop, Machine Shop, Blacksmithing, Pottery, Jewelry, Leather working,Sewing, etc.

There’s another series Blown Away same contest format blowing glass. Fun to watch.

2 Likes

I found the editing of blown away to be frustrating, being used to longer form shows like Project Runway and Face Off

Exactly! Every competition show I’ve ever watched has been 1 hour long. I can’t imagine 30 minutes is nearly enough.

Just watched the first two episodes and remembered something else that these netflix shows always do that bothers me. They always have some random hosts who we have no clue who they are, and are constantly cutting away to them making puns or having a little skit.

I just watched the first few episodes of this show. I have to say I am super annoyed with it.

Leah got screwed both by Frank but more importantly by the judges. The show felt like the judges had an idea of what they wanted, failed to communicate that to the contestants then proceeded to penalized them for not meeting that unstated expectation.

The whole BBQ episode the judges seemed annoyed that no one made a pig shaped grill or some other stereotype. They asked for creativity then complained about it when it was delivered.

1 Like

After watching two episodes I agree. The first episode they clearly wanted a self portrait but emphasized having it be a non-literal composition…but the only people getting slammed were ones who didn’t include a face.

Be creative but do it by picking the most kitsch obvious approach. Make a grill big enough for a large party but we don’t have containers huge enough for that.

Yeah, exactly. The fish grill was great and they are like “we expect better craftmanship” because the ribs weren’t perfect? I thought it looked awesome. Was mostly just annoyed by how little of their process was shown instead of the hosts joking about stuff.

I started watching Lego Masters which also has 30-40 minute episodes and they are waaaay better because they actually show the process of building and discuss the different techniques used.

2 Likes

I did not like the hosts at all. The dad jokes guy hopefully will disappear if there is a second season. I also think the producers did a lousy job of showcasing metal working instead of fake drama. The judges seemed qualified but not able to express themselves very well. They kept repeating the same criticism. I also think they needed to find better makers some were awesome but a few sucked. A format like Ellen’s furniture show were they have a week to do their projects would be so much better for metalworking I think. if you like modern furniture making Ellen’s furniture show is worth a watch.

2 Likes

Yeah the idea of making something in like 6 hours isn’t feasible. Even Lego Masters gave them 15 hours. I actually really liked that show, its on Hulu

What’s the name of the furniture show?

I imagine the format was a player in why they couldn’t recruit someone more skilled. Nobody who takes pride in their portfolio is going to sign up for Nailed It, Metalshop.

Ellen’s Next Great Designer on HBOMax.