Metal Shop Updates

All,

First, I spent a bit of time cleaning and rearranging the shop. @Kriskat30 was kind enough to contribute some time making some new signage for certain areas. The old powder oven has been moved to the far corner to keep it out of the way until we finalize it’s destination (likely sell it after a little bit of cleanup).

Second, The PPE racks have been organized a bit; one shelf for Eyes and the other for ears. There were some various gloves in a… needing TLC state is how I’ll describe them. If they are yours, let me know. If not, I’m likely going to get a disposable box holder of some thick Nitriles and Latex available instead. These aren’t really hot gloves, and seem to be more for chemicals. I made some quickie signs for the shelves on the laser. I didn’t have something handy to hang them with, but IMHO I think we need to stick with the metal theme and make some metal ones and weld to the shelves :slight_smile: For now they work, and were made out of scrap so even better.
Side note, did you know there are a handful of pairs of Z87+W5 goggles sitting there? Nice ones too. Keep that in mind for PlasmaCAM classes.

Third, the powder coating media has been placed on a shelf. Laser Safe powder is marked. The Harbor Freight powders are not laser safe since they are PVC based. I did not mark those “no laser” since inevitably the text will smear, and I’d rather we follow a policy of “no mark == not safe” rather than a partial wear let someone see “laser” and nothing else. This is, of course, open for discussion.

There is currently no scale, so for now just guesstimate the powder usage rounding up to the nearest ounce. For perspective, the a single brake caliper likely uses about 1-2 oz of powder. We follow a similar process to Laser and other items, which is you round up to the next full value. Powder is sold by the Ounce, and can be paid on the Kiosk. Once the scale is next to the kiosk, weigh the jar before and after. You have an incentive to be careful not to spill when transferring jars, as you’ll end up with a closer measurement that won’t push over the next ounce :slight_smile:
Even though there is no scale currently, just make an honest attempt. Most small parts will use 1 ounce.

Lastly, please remember to clean up after yourself. Everyone says “it’s just one cut,” and unfortunately when everyone says that no one cleans anything. Today I cleaned up a particularly large amount of aluminum left all over the shop in dust form. No one’s perfect, and even I deserved to get called out at times (and you should call me out on that, I’m not above anyone in that regard).

As a reminder we have a cleaning & meeting day on August 4th.

Cheers,
-Jim

15 Likes

@talkers, this is what I was referring to tonight during the Laser Basics class.

1 Like

Take a note from Laser and @heyheymama … bribe @Scott_Blevins to make food … it brings a crowd

4 Likes

@hon1nbo. Grateful for the Laser Safe label.

@John_Marlow, I’m on vacation. Can’t get to wiki. Would you add under Safe-ish materials an item for laser-safe powders (if diy powder coating)?

2 Likes

Are all the Summit powders laser-safe, or just certain colors?

1 Like

Done. :blankspace: :blankspace:

3 Likes

So far all of them listed are laser safe, but there could be another colour that isn’t that we haven’t encountered yet.

-Jim

2 Likes

I’m late to the thread here but hoping someone can direct me to the resources i need in order to be up to speed on use of the powdercoating rig (class?).
Also i believe i am supposed to be on the user list foe the llasma CNC but last time i checked i was not. Who should i check with to resolve that? Thanks!

If you’ve taken the class PM your instructor and someone like Stan Simmons to get you in the AD group.

For the powdercoating, if doing small parts in the small oven no training required, though Eastwood makes great videos for using their gun.

If needing the larger oven, there is training required to understand the interlock protocol. Most people who have been trained on the oven can spot check you. The big item to note for it is that there is a tag out lock available so if you ever have to setup a jig inside the oven, no one else can start it should you become trapped.
Other than that anyone who knows how to work it already can show you.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

If you’re asking how to check, the New Member 411 describes how to check, in the “Tool Certifications” section. (or you can do it from a kiosk in the Common room).

Once you check and if you’re not on there, then you should PM Stan and let him know when you took the class and who the instructor was. He can add you to the AD group.

DMS members travel on their stomachs. ‘Cook it and they will come.’

Great job on the initial steps to bring the Metal Shop up to snuff. Time to get the rest of the Metalshop members to roll up their sleeves and prove that many hands make for light work.

2 Likes

The last clean up we had pizza from Joe’s.

4 Likes

I came in to use plasma cutter but it is unplugged. Looked for an outlet, but alas there is only one and a kiln is plugged into it. Please help😩

We’re short on power until things with the move settle in.

Is the kiln currently operating? Does it feel warm? If not, then it should be safe to unplug it and plug the plasmacam in.

@hon1nbo. Please confirm if I’m telling him to do a no-no.

1 Like

Her.

:smile:

:blankspace:

3 Likes

It is hot at 149 degrees :nerd_face:

1 Like

Also with kiln running how do I figure out the right time to come in to run the plasma cutter ?

1 Like

Ah, I’d let it be then. I’m not sure. I just teach there :slight_smile:

Maybe check with @hon1nbo to see what policy is.

1 Like

As a procedural issue, there needs to be a small marker board at the kiln (with a marker chained to it). It needs to say:

It is safe to unplug the kiln at:

Date: _______________
Time: ________________

@meanbaby - can you implement that? It’s great to share the power but it’s important for metal shop to be able to use their equipment when the kiln is finished. This thread demonstrates that people who are trying to be conscientious don’t have a way to tell when the kiln is finished. It could be heating up, or already finished and just cooling but they don’t know how to tell.

1 Like

It’s worth a note that this is not our oven. It’s an actual kiln. I’m reviewing the video now to find out when it was loaded and if it has been unloaded. It was pushed in about 5:30 last night

1 Like