Metal shop needs and wants

We need to discuss what the needs & wants are for the metal shop. Best I remember the last meeting we had, we put on the list the following.

Throatless shear
English wheel
Shrinker/stretcher.
I got a quote for all three of the above.

The English wheel I got the quote on will to bead rolling as well as roll a flange.

Some have mentioned getting a corner notcher. Best I can find on a useful one is the Tennsmith. This particular one does corner notching & a corner flange notch. This will allow to make a fully functional box the right way.

What else are we wanting to put on the list & in what order?
We need to have a meeting to discuss & vote.

2 Likes

Horizontal Drill or Boring machine

Dry Saw ( commonly known as a cold chop saw)

5x10 Torchmate Plasma CNC

Knife Sander to build knives using that indoor inductive coil.

:grinning:

2 Likes

Will the cold cut saw in machine shop not work for that?

Yes - it definitely is a precision machine and can make beautiful tight miters. I just see the dry saw as more of a step up from the abrasive. Kind of a cut anything saw that produces a very high quality cuts. Safer too as the metal does not heat to glowing like an abrasive does.

2 Likes

The rotation speed in SFM of the saw he’s proposing will be able to cut aluminum. Machine Shop saw is for Steel and Brass. Per the manufacturer of our cold cut saw you need 1,700 SFM, ours is 220 or 110 SFM.

1 Like

I think the dry cut saw & 2x72 are more in the cards than the other two.

Horizontal boring more belongs in machine shop, technically you could set the Bridgeport for that but you have to tram it back.

As for the larger plasma table, I don’t think that is viable due to space. We have been offered a couple larger tables before.

4 1/2 inch grinding wheels. Flap discs, wire wheels.