Metal Shop Access

Hello there,

Even though I joined in February 2022, I still consider myself a newcomer, so pls pardon my newbie question here.

One of my areas of expertise is welding and other metal works. I was wondering what steps I need to take to obtain authorization for access. You can find some examples of my work on my social media accounts and a little on my website.

thanks and kindest regards,

First step would be to take the Hot Process Safety, which is on Learn Dallas Makerspace: Log in to the site

@rlisbona may have some thoughts on the next step. I’d suggest attending a Metal Shop Committee meeting. The Metal Shop Committee meetings are usually the first Saturday of the month. So, in theory, we should have one on July 1st. Which is the Saturday of the holiday weekend… Randy can tell us when the committee meeting is really going to be. At the meeting, you can meet the Metal Shop folks, and probably set up a quick check-off.

Take the hot process online class
If you aleady know how to weld we can do a quick checkoff some evening and talk about our other equipment. Look on the calendar for CNC Plasma classes.
I’ll be in tonight for a few hours, @Mrholthaus is there many evenings. Im usually free sat and sun afternoons but our daughter is visiting this weekend.

Come to the committee meetings, and help with committee projects. We are workingbon a new welding table and have a few other things on our wish list asctime allows. I dont have the next metalshop meeting on the calendar just yet, probably Sat June 1
-Randy

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks!! I look forward to meeting you and MrHolthaus…

Can you tell me what the model of the CNC plasma platform is, or direct me this time where I would find that and other similar info?

:camera: ~

Here’s a link:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Tools#Metal_Shop

It’s the first thing under Cutting. Metal Shop tools are pretty updated on the Wiki. I haven’t figured out how to look at Source/Confluence yet, so I don’t know if that’s been loaded.

2 Likes

We have the Dynatorch SuperB 4x8, with a hypertherm 85 power unit & machine torch.

1 Like

In my opinion, it is regrettable that we seem to have decided to NOT have a central “our tools” repo on Source.
But each committee has a Tools section.
Here’s how to browse to the Metal Shop’s

As you can see, it’s NOT fully fleshed out, making the reference to Wiki the standing recommendation (for now…)

1 Like

corresponding steps for finding the info on wiki

1 Like

With a lovely shot of Tim Bene standing beside the Dynatorch when it arrived.

1 Like

Proud Papa moment (his children are SO jealous!) :smiley:

1 Like

Hard to believe that’s been 5 years almost.

2 Likes

I’ll the there tonight just FYI. I need to Powdercoat something so I’ll be in the area around automotive most likely. Either that or in the machine shop.

The Metal Shop meeting is this Saturday at 3pm. It’s a good way to get in touch with the Metal Shop folks.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/19900

1 Like

Agree. We have some areas where you need to check multiple committees due to complementary or similar equipment - most notably machine, metal and blacksmithing. If you don’t happen to know how we’ve seemingly arbitrarily grouped things you wouldn’t find it.

2 Likes

I’ve given a whirl to labeling the tools pages on the committees with “ourtools” label, but honestly, it seems pointless at this time. Searching for “tools” works just as well as searching for a label “ourtools”, and, honestly, what new member (or established member for that matter) will think or know to search for that label anyway?