Metal identification?

Is there a way to identify a random metal sample? They’re real pretty but design samples so they’re unmarked and I don’t want to contaminate blades with aluminum and make someone else’s project pit out

See if it attracts a magnet, check the weight of it, . Last of al, ask David

1 Like

I know there is a digital laser temperature gun over in auto shop tools that can tell temperature up to about 900 degrees. If the metal is tin, lead, or zinc it will melt below that temperature and you can tell any of those three. For metals that melt above that temperature you can try finding the density by water displacement and weight.

Also, about using a magnet, stainless steel won’t stick to a magnet.

Thanks for reminded me I need to buy another gauging sheet so i can check the weights. It’s pretty light which is why I’m worried it’s AL. I suppose I could just use a separate blade and take it off the frame when I’m done

There is a metal gauge in jewelry,

yeah I need a replacement for my studio at work. kids steal the dumbest things

Is the sample solid? If so,

1. Put a glass or other container large enough to hold the sample into a pan.
  2. Fill the glass with water even with the top but avoid spilling any into the pan.
  3. Slowly dunk the sample into the water.
  4. Gently lift the glass out of the pan.
  5. Either weigh or measure the water in the pan. Water is 1 gram per milliliter.
  6. Weigh the sample.

The ratio between the weights is the density of the sample. Look that up.

You may get better results if you can find a container with a spout with the tip below the top of the container. Fill the container until it overflows the spout. Empty the container used to catch the overflow. Dunk the sample. Measure or weigh the overflowed water.

Edit: Even better yet, if you have a graduated cylinder large enough to hold the sample, fill with water to one of the markings. Note that. Dunk the sample. The volume of the sample is the difference between the two readings.

3 Likes

Would it affect the results that it’s been coated?

If it is a thin coating, probably not. The important thing is that the sample is not hollow, meaning it contains air bubbles.