Meeting Agenda for Next Week

Need input for agenda items for next week’s Machine Shop Meetings (Wednesday & Thursday).

I. We will begin Intro to Machine Shop Courses in March. Need to know what general rules for Machine Shop is desired. E.g,
A. What Machines will require Training to Use, Machines we have:
1. HAAS
2. Vertical Knee Mill (Bridgeport)
3. Engine Lathe (either of existing lathes)
4. Cold Cut Saw
5. Vertical Band Saw, existing for metal
6. Drill Press
7. Future - small lathe, type to be determined
8. Future - small mill, type to be determined
9. Future Table saw - soft metals and plastic (will have here by end of February)
10. Future Vertical bandsaw - Plastics
11. Precision Inspection & Layout on Surface Plate
B. What should Intro Class cover (to develop curriculum)
…1. Should there be a minimum age to use machines in Machine Shop, e.g. currently 16 y/o except for HAAS which is 18 y/o.
…2. Requirements for how tools should be returned when finished, e.g. Lathes should have 3 jaw chuck, Bridgeport should have vise on table - If tram has bee moved, set back on zero with 0.5 degrees of square, general cleanliness.
II. Team Leaders: Need Team Leaders: Identify Key Operators, Instructors, PM schedule
…A. HAAS
…B. Mills
…C. Saws & Drill
…D. Hand Tools & Inspection Tools
III. Buying Team: Short term group, want them to review what types of new lathe and mill choices. Make a presentation listing pros and cons for committee to vote on. Goal is to get at least one of these in March. Will request matching funds from BoD.
IV. Other items to discuss, let me know.

Some FYI:
*. Hydraulic Cylinder for Cold Saw will be ready for pick-up tomorrow. Total rebuild/refurbishment is approx $850. Kalamazoo didn’t have replacement nor could they tell us model number on our saw (cold had multiple part numbers). Saw should be up and running next week. Will have class scheduled for it and Band saw.

• Order bearings for wheel on lift table donated to Machine Shop. We will now have ability to raise our Cross Indexed Rotary Tables up to height of Bridgeport table enabling sliding it off and on without lifting. Can also keep large mill chucks on it. Cost $25
    *4 - 95lb magnets ordered for drill press. Walter is machining the base current vise will attach to, the magnets will be attached to base. When engaged the magnets will lock vise down to table with 380 lbs of force. Will allow easy adjustment of vise and lock-down so material doesn’t move when drilling.
  • Will order 10 repair part sets for tool changer for HAAS 10 X 45 = $450
    Look forward for comments to the above in advance so they can be summarized for meetings, goal to keep as close to 1 hour as possible.
7 Likes

I want to attend. Where are the meeting date/times posted?

I wanna say Wednesday & Thursday night. I’m pretty sure I saw it on the calendar previously.

15th & 16th, Purple Classroom @ 7:00PM

Hope folks can attend and provide input into where you want your Machine Shop to go. I really hope folks will become involved with at least one of the Machine Teams and hope we can get instructors over a wide range of topics. Would like to see a couple of classes a week that involve basic and specialized topics in Machining.

Intro one time every week.
I see Tim just beat me on answering the “when”.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1615
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/1616

Thanks, my bad. I saw “Wed/Thur” and was just looking this coming week on the calendar.

Reference Items 7 and 8 of the agenda (see the1st message above)…Future Small Mill and Lathe.

At the next meeting (both on Wednesday and Thursday) I will bring in my Sherline Milling Machine and Lathe as an example of small metal working tools. These are low cost tools that are small enough for table top operation.

This Sherline Milling Machine and Lathe is currently manually operated by the handle cranks as shown in the photo. I am in the process of adding CNC controls, you can see the servo motors that have been installed. There is even a 4 inch rotary table with a servo motor in the middle of the photo. For those of you that think that the Bridgeport Mill, the Clausing Lathe, or even the HAAS CNC is too much for you to handle when first learning…try one of these fine USA made tools.

For additional information about these tools, check out: www.sherline.com

5 Likes

Oops…here is the photo.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing this demonstrated. If you have some items, or other folks that have made things on these type/size machines, please bring them so people can see. Would like the see both some large and small items and various materials. Thanks

@John_Marlow @wandrson

1 Like

If there is anything people want to bring up, post it here. If you can’t make it, please use a proxy if it is something you want voted.

I truly believe in the benevolent dictator with democratic tendencies concept. If you let me know how you want to vote on something or make a motion, I’ll do it and vote the way you want. I really want people actively involved so the things you want to do - we can.

Thanks for the support from everyone - especially Tim Bene @TBJK, super hero at fixing stuff! (I’m starting to learn enough to be dangerous)

1 Like

@photomancer - As a result of the committee votes, do you want me to update the wiki/tools to show training required for the Bridgeport, lathes, and Cold Cut saw? Also the vertical band saw?

1 Like

I’ve never seen a class offered for that. I suspect it will be part of the general machine shop class but that’s not available yet. Catch 22? Probably need to wait on that one.

Not yet, until I publish the results of the vote on wiki and Talk AND get the Intro class off the ground I think it will be premature. Keep the pressure on me!

1 Like

Would there be any interest in a Taig mill setup for CNC (Gecko G540 driver).

The answer is probably YES, probably because I’m not exactly sure what a Tiag is - but sounds like what @John_Marlow said she had. Couldn’t tell you the difference between a Geeko, Horned Toad, or Gila Monster driver.

But would love to learn more.

Are you talking about the Taig CNC mill, or just a CNC add-on for a CNC-ready manual Taig mill?

I think at the time they sold only the CNC ready version and not a complete setup. This one has the upgraded motor, longer axis, and ER16 collet like the CNC mill they sell now. They have a ball screw upgrade now but that wasn’t an option at the time (though it can be retrofitted with it).

I posted about it when I set it up years ago so there are some details there and some photos. It has some normal wear and tear from light use. I’ve been casually trying to sell it for a while for around $1,200 but if DMS were interested I’d take half that. I’ve thought about donating it but seeing how people have treated donated mills in the past I’m reluctant to do that (they were gutted for screws and steppers then thrown away).

1 Like

I don’t believe she has the mill, just the lathe. I once owned the model (sans CNC) that Luke is talking about. It has basically the same footprint as the Sherline, but is built more ‘robustly’ for lack of a better word. It isn’t as fancy, but it is a solid machine and extremely well built. Like the Sherline it is American made.

3 Likes

that ROCKS!