May HAAS Training Part 1 class scheduled

Another Part 1 Haas class has been submitted for May 2nd. Look for it on the calendar in 72 hours or so.
After finals on May 16th I’ll get more classes scheduled. Cheers!

2 Likes

@nicksilva, I’ve already taken the Haas class (and successfully made my domino). It’s been a while. May I sit in on the class (audit) without taking up a class slot or should I sign up for the full class again if I want to refresh/update my knowledge?

3 Likes

Since you’ve already made your domino this class would not benefit you much. The controller and running of the domino has not changed but is now broken up into a 2nd and 3rd class. what has changed is the software. FeatureCam is dead, long live fusion 360. You would be better off taking Sam Nash’s Modeling Class and John Gorman’s fusion 360 class or my not yet announced fusion 360 CAM class so that you can move on to your 2nd and 3rd projects. This first class only covers the CAD portion of the domino but in itself is NOT a fusion 360 class beyond the cookie cutter design we work on.

2 Likes

I noticed the $30 fee for the first class. Will each class have a fee, or just the initial class? Thanks

-Dave

Yes. the previous fee under the old program was $75. This has been spread out across the 3 classes.
Class 1: CAD/CAM: $30
Class 2: Operation $25
Class 3: Run the domino on the Haas $20

A post was merged into an existing topic: ISSUE: Problems with logging into calendar

A post was split to a new topic: Is there a Fusion 360 class coming up?

Like to add to Nick’s comment.

When the Machine Shop committee became active again, we formed teams for various machines. Team Haas being one of them. Rob Johnson was the original Team Leader but tragically was lost to us. Nick stepped up to take his place as Haas Team Leader.

Prior to to this the Haas Haas class was 15 hours plus test time and was $75. The new Haas Team had discussed how to reorganize and redo the Haas class so that there was a higher success rate. Over 240 members had taken the class but less than two dozen ever fully completed the training so that they could operate independently. Additionally, the software was changed and the prior license that had been provided us had expired, so new classes were needed. The whole class structure was redone.

It was decided the course would be broken up into three phases:

1. The CAD/CAM portion
  2. The Machine Operation portion
  3. Testing

A lot of folks basically realized they didn’t want to learn CAD at the level it required in order to complete Haas training - this is a machine that needs a true 3D CAD program. You don’t have to be a master draftsman but it’s not like doing something in Tinker CAD for 3D printing. If you feel it’s not for you, then you can bail at that point and only have $30 invested vs $75.

If you proceed, then there is the Machine portion. Most people that complete this class go on to to take the test.

The $20 Test fee is paid to the instructor, think of it as a mini-honorarium. Tests typically take 2-2.5 hours. Getting an instructor to test 6 people is 15 hours of work, coordinating with the student, driving to the space, etc.

Also all class fees collected for Haas training goes to the Haas team. This is a machine that when repairs are needed are not cheap nor is tooling. Class fees pay for this maintenance. But there is no charge for using the Haas after you’ve passed the class.

2 Likes

So is it possible to get the domino dimensions and just cad it ourselves in Fusion360 and submit it for review with the $30 to move on to the next class? I just hate taking up a spot in a class that covers something I do nearly every day. I mean it’s no big deal and I don’t mind going. I would just hate for someone not to get in the class because it’s full.

no I am not in favor of that. keep in mind I am volunteering to teach and to verify the files. and by verify it is a file comparison to a master copy of the gcode file. this is the best use of my small free time.,
if you do it your way and it doesn’t match mine - it is a fail. rinse and repeat. the class is only 2/3 full at this time and there will likely be another 2 weeks after. People have patiently waited 6 months for us to come back online and so we hope everyone will be patient in getting run thru the program.
You say you CAD every day but do you run tool paths for a CNC mill? are you an experienced machinist and operator? If so we can revisit it and perhaps test you out. let us know what your credentials are and we’ll work with you.

I already booked my spot in the class, and like I said I am happy to attend the class. I hope I didn’t come off the wrong way, and if I did I apologize. I really was just trying to save the spot if someone needed it. I am not an experienced machinist by any means and I don’t even want to test out of the class if I could. I just read your reply to the other person who had already taken the class and I’m in a similar situation although I didn’t finish the domino just due to work being crazy at the time. I need the operator class and I need to take the test and all that. Once again if I came across wrong I apologize, it’s hard to convey intent on the internet. Thanks for getting back to me.

2 Likes

no worries. I’ll see you in class and soon in the operations class.

1 Like