Mark Haven Statement of Intent BOD 2020-2021

Hey Marshall,

It didn’t even occur to me that “willful forgetfulness” might be interpreted in that way. I was thinking of a much, much bigger picture than any single issue. I was thinking in terms of anyone holding on to a grudge that might be faced with working with someone they have personal, political, ideological, or philosophical problems with. But, I think I’ve already answered the issue with Kris in a past thread.

But I’ll still try to answer again it to your satisfaction. Yes, I support her lifetime ban. The circumstances, narrative, facts, and absent defense warrants a ban. Objectively, I’m unable to make any other decision.

As for the other points in the thread, I am more than happy to add my perspective. But if I miss something critical, please be patient, I will likely address it at some point. Right now, I can’t afford to be careless with how I spend my time, so forgive me if I overlook a point that is important to you. I am making an effort to address everything and will come back to anything I feel is important, whether it is on Talk or elsewhere.

Let me start with a deeper perspective that is more in line with how someone in an executive leadership position should be thinking.

When you make the sacrifice to serve in leadership, you never truly understand the sacrifice until after the fact. Make no mistake, serving in leadership is truly a sacrifice in every sense of the word. And that is something that we as leaders learn and accept, sometimes long after the fact, through the suffering onslaught of slings and arrows, through our loss of friendships, through our loneliness, and through our struggle of self-doubt. We face these things whether we are ready for it or not. And while no two experiences in leadership are quite the same, those who adapt and survive are able to see the patterns that make the experiences very much alike. Obviously, this isn’t my first rodeo.

None of us have ever been ready for it. Least of all me. I only know that, when it comes to volunteer leadership, whenever the community is in dire need, I require much convincing and interpersonal support from many people in order to be persuaded into service. Frankly, I never expected to ever run for the board again. The time I served years ago was more than enough for me. But a lot of people have changed my mind, and I’m doing this for them, knowing that it will be brutal and at the expense of my mental health and life outside DMS.

For what it’s worth, I appreciate everyone’s diligence in safeguarding Dallas Makerspace. I don’t share the perspectives in this thread, nor did the district attorney who quite literally thought I didn’t deserve to be prosecuted. First degree felonies aren’t dismissed for no reason. And part of that reason is that the faith built by the prosecution was brought about by the same person who defrauded DMS out of thousands of dollars. The same person that Dallas Makerspace retained an attorney to prosecute, but failed to follow through on. I don’t know why my ex-wife wasn’t brought to justice, and I don’t know why she wasn’t banned by DMS for actual fraud. This was never documented. But I would like to say thank you to everyone who caught her. Because if it weren’t for our DMS leadership and their diligence on the matter, my life might be very different right now. The district attorney for my case noticed her malfeasance here at DMS, even without the followthrough of her being prosecuted, and I have everyone in the leadership community at the time to thank for following through, even to the extent they did. Again, for what it’s worth, thank you. Truly, thank you.

I’m an open book. People I form relationships with know this. Some of them may no longer support my narratives or perspectives for personal or political reasons, but I am nonetheless an open book that frequently overshares the personal details of my life. So, if we haven’t taken the time to get to know one another in half a decade, or if we’ve been too caught up in the politics to really take the break required to get to know who we’ve become over years of life’s joys and sorrows, then we might be missing out on a lot of rewarding conversations. I for one, have plenty of stuff to talk about. Probably to the point of fault. But that’s one of the ways I work with people. By putting aside all the stuff that doesn’t really matter, by tearing down walls, by building bridges… by building relationships that not only enrich our lives but also help us achieve our goals. Building solid working relationships makes accomplishing goals easier and more efficient. It doesn’t matter if you started the fight. It doesn’t matter if you make me angry. It doesn’t matter if I think someone is an awful person. For the good of all of us, I will work with anyone, and I will always appeal to the good of Dallas Makerspace. Not as a building, but as a family of makers.

If none of you have examined my platform, I’d like you to think about our culture for a moment; both our membership culture and our leadership culture. Our culture is one area that I believe I can help. It is a passion in which I have long been qualifed. Few others running focus on this, and that’s okay. We need all types of priorities, passion and ideas when it comes to board leadership. I am willing to trade on any other policy issue in exchange for support on my issues regarding our culture. If culture isn’t something that’s important to you, you will want to work with me on the basis that we can help each other achieve both of our goals. If culture is something important to you, then we will be able to achieve our mutual goals together.

It doesn’t matter if you’ve been rude, offensive, or judgemental in the past. From this moment forward, in the interest everyone who demands a voice and future at Dallas Makerspace, all has been forgiven. This is a cold boot; a hard reset; a blank slate. I will have no memory of past wrongs.

I believe there are only two groups of people here at Dallas Makerspace. First, there are those who want us to be divided with insults, disrespect, and grievances, brought on by old grudges and personal conflict, in a manner not unlike Lord of the Flies. And then, there are the rest of us.

We will all be working together soon. I’d like for you to think about which side they are on. Consider what is best for Dallas Makerspace. In my estimation, those who want us divided are clearly outnumbered.

1 Like

So not going to address any of the other concerns in this thread then?

1 Like

Directors have access to billing records and other personal information for members. Considering your history of fraud and identity theft and the large amount of marijuana and two handguns in your posession when you were arrested, what would you tell people to reassure them that you will safeguard their personal information if elected? Could you please answer @Edenblue’s question about your threatened lawsuit to try to get members’ personal information? What were you planning to do with this information?

8 Likes

Considering you had previously used members’ information to falsely register them as officers of your company (you still haven’t addressed that BTW), there is legitimate business reason to deny such things.

Even if now the contact directory is more accessible, it made sense to deny you access then. But if you were on the board, put in the same situation with a member requesting another members’ information after they previously committed identity theft would you not deny it?

Why did you think it was OK to place DMS and its members as officers on your org then refuse to remove them when asked?

What kind of behaviour is this for someone who wants to be on the board of the organization he did this to?

3 Likes

If I remember correctly (and this is just Things I Heard in the Common Room), Mark wanted the info so that all the members could receive information about that year’s election. The board disagreed, either about the info being relevant or about that being the best method of getting the word out.

1 Like

Here’s the original thread that includes Mark’s reason for making the request. https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/attention-dallas-makerspace-members/25877

7 Likes

Yeah I don’t want my information out there. I rather not make getting my address any easier. Like I could understand asking members to send me their contact info voluntarily… But to legally sue over it. I would like to have some expectation of privacy from our 1800+ other members. Or not end up with a series of secret admirer presents on my door, been there done that, not fun.

7 Likes

What was the outcome of this charade?

Nothing came of it other than spending space money on an attorney.

4 Likes

@mrhavens you’ve continued to avoid all questions in this thread.

1 Like

@mrhavens What was the reason for you to stop perusing this. Do you still feel the information you were requesting should be available to all members?

I’d like to see two answers here actually. The general case, and the case where the organization has reason to believe the requester is acting in bad faith.

2 Likes

In the past you have publicly destroyed another member art work. You in the past said that you apologized to @maxk68 that was found to be a lie when I asked him. Hewas not ever apologized to do you think maybe you have something to say to him. What is stopping you from destroying another artwork for petty laughter.

Your actions from the past speak for the future as well.

2 Likes

@mrhavens :frowning: Mark Havens. Help me out here, I feel like I’m missing something. From a DMS perspective, how would this 5K not be better spent on education, tools, and so on?

7 Likes

Hi Anette,

That is EXACTLY what I thought! I never saw any actual numbers that validated Tapper’s assertions. Honestly, I never expect to see any numbers at all. Apparently, when I followed up on this concern later, none of Tapper’s assertions could be validated. I was grateful for that. I don’t know why he was graciously released as our Treasurer last year, but if the assertions he made as Treasurer were as accurate as the assertions he made while interacting with me, then I suppose there’s an answer in there somewhere that I’d rather have to not point out.

For more specific details about my reasons, here is a direct link to what I outlined in 2017.

As you can read from the context of my post, times have changed. Losing friends and being ostracized has become commonplace for many today. Especially for a nonincumbent like me who’s been asked by many members to not only run for board, but to win. And while I’m not proud of many of the values I had when I offered myself as an example to a very young leadership community we had nearly a decade ago, I’d like to think that my values have been reborn so that I may once again employ the gifts that I have been given to help set a better example for our leadership culture in the future. But this time, it will be with a restored heart, mind, and soul. I do this as a pentance to those I have injured with my pride, bitterness, and anger, regardless of the personal cost to me and my family.

I only hope I don’t screw it all up again like I did the first time.

Can you please share those interactions.

2 Likes

Confusion, and more confusion, not getting anywhere

4 Likes

You’ve been avoiding everything in this thread; how about explaining why being someone who has defrauded DMS and its members (this is not in dispute) should be allowed to be on our board?

5 Likes

Hell, you still haven’t explained why your felony drug conviction for being in possession of 1.5 kilos of weed makes you an ideal candidate for this position.

Felony drug possession and fraud involving other unwilling members of DMS that caused us to have to file with the state to get them out of your fraud. Then threatening to sue us if we didn’t give you access to more member names.

How about you explain why you should even be allowed to be a member let alone run for board.

3 Likes

I don’t want to get in the middle of this, but when I went to the Dallas County website to see what was reported, it says both charges were dismissed.

There are several paths to having a charge dismissed, deferred, prosecution unable to move forward, amongst many others.

I’m not saying he was guilty or innocent, just a data point that the County shows as DISM.

1 Like