I call bullshit

Thanks everybody, I was not using dms email. I appreciate the quick response.

1 Like

You don’t have to use it to use the account to log in to read the docs others have posted…

What was the reasoning behind that?

That’s exactly it. Thanks MB!

1 Like

How did you make that video?

a wizard did it

I don’t recall exactly…
The gist:
Googled for gif recorder, used one of them, edited frames as necessary in…probably GIMP…

2 Likes

Very cool thanks would be awesome for writing a medium post or something.

1 Like

I use Snagit. Best all in one for animated gif and screen capture IMO.

2 Likes

The person who bought the bus wasn’t a member at the time and there was some other details about if it had or had not been posted for sale first that we could not confirm.

Josh do me a favor and mention the request in the other thread so I keep track of “teaching” folks about screen scrapers, etc

2 Likes

what post?

IE how we screen record, and turn it into either a GIF, or a mp4 etc.

After a hard to hear conversation in private, and after many hours going through the released documentation, I’ve yielded on this whole Kris issue, Nick. But I’d like to point out that going through everything in the pile and coming to an objective conclusion is nontrivial; especially for anyone that has had contact with the parties involved over the years. Resting a final judgment on one fact, while ignoring everything else was not my intention. Nor was it my intention to subvert a standing decision. My mistake was that I sought to understand the truth with reasonable certainty. Many others in this thread seemed certain regarding the issue of theft, yet I found myself having to make certain assumptions in order to come to an objective conclusion. In my earlier post, I honestly didn’t feel I should have needed to make those assumptions, and I’m sorry if it came across as a judgment of everyone’s hard work and sound decision making. But, based on the overall picture I developed from going through everything in the pile, and with no defending arguments available, I’m unable to objectively give Kris the benefit of the doubt either. Therefore, I’ve yielded to authority on this issue. I won’t pretend I don’t have mixed feelings about it. I do. This has been difficult to accept. But nonetheless, I’d like to thank everyone for their hard work, due diligence, and ethical stewardship of Dallas Makerspace.

I pray this never happens again.

6 Likes

This is very unfortunate.

I’m in the same boat in that I liked Maker Kris. She was full of energy and always willing to help folks. She made things enjoyable. I didn’t like President Kris for the vengeance and overbearing control and it’s hard for me to reconcile the two different sides to her. :frowning:

In looking through everything, though, the board did the right thing IMO. I’m just waiting on the wheels of justice to see what happens there.

15 Likes

This comes down to avoiding impropriety or even the appearance of impropriety. We all know what it looks like. Don’t do that thing.

6 Likes

@mrhavens I find it commendable that you make this statement publicly. It is one I’ve seen many supporters of Kris have to painfully come to as well. We all want it to not be true, including those that found it. I remember talking among the finance group saying, this intentional abuse, there must be a DMS use here. Then the pure tax issue, we asked specifically for the emails that supported the claims of Kris and the BOD, before ever approaching pure tax. Then receiving the high level of concern from pure tax as a response with threats of cancelling our contract and DMS losing the large sums of money invested into their financial guidance was an out come none of us wanted.

I also worked with Kris positively before she was a BOD member and thought her ideas would help the DMS. Like @Raymond, I was corrected of those thoughts when the vengeance and over bearing control from Kris showed up during her term in power. Matters only made worse when trying to help both DMS and her by pointing issues while they could still be corrected and forgiven as mistakes or unintentional.

I hope the DMS grows from this. And I thank everyone with the perseverance to follow it through.

7 Likes

Amen to that!

2 Likes

This challenged me in more ways than I can express, Nick. Because of predispositions in this thread, I felt as if I were being automatically pushed to the opposite side of the issue. As this was happening, my instinct was to retaliate in kind to everyone who expressed an unkind word. What you highlighted earlier deeply resonated with me.

I really appreciate this type of sentiment.

Many years ago, I thought that disrespecting others and ostracizing them for good reason would help protect the Space. I passed these ideas off as a type of wisdom in the natural law of self-organizing, self-correcting groups formed by our own human nature. I figured that if it were good enough for the Greeks and good enough as a basis in human sociological evolution, surely it would serve as a useful basis for managing those we didn’t want in our own community. How utterly naive and foolish I was to call that wisdom. Even though it was in stark contrast with our own rules, it quietly became part of our leadership culture. After time had passed and I found myself on the receiving end of this a few years later, I began to transform my philosophy while learning many lessons from my mistakes. But Dallas Makerspace doesn’t have to be a training ground for these types of hard lessons. Most of us would much rather learn to make jet engines, invent portal guns, and figure out how to upload our brains to the cloud.

As we mock, taunt, and call others names, we encourage dysfunction, abuse, and further escalation. It sets the wrong example for others to follow. We direct our culture with our words and our actions. Disrespect is not okay. It doesn’t matter who started it. It doesn’t matter how angry someone makes you. It doesn’t matter if you think somebody is a terrible person. It is not okay.

Many of us give lip service to the idea of respect. We have to. It’s in our rules. But how many times was that rule broken in this thread?

Dallas Makerspace isn’t your home or my home. It’s our home. Respect is a requirement here. We are required to live and let live if we want to live here ourselves.

13 Likes