Mark Aspery Classes in October & Joe Brown's status

All,

I just found out that the blacksmithing chair, Joe Brown @jbrown885 has had a stroke. I don’t know too much about this as I heard it second hand from Fred Cole, the president of the North Texas Blacksmithing Association (NTBA). Apparently, Joe’s son came to the last NTBA meeting and told them about his father’s stroke. Please be in prayer for him and his family.

A couple of things we need to address in his absence or at least until he returns. We have invited the NTBA and Mark Aspery Home to come and teach classes on October 4th, 5th and 6th. He’s a nationally known, perhaps even internationally known, blacksmith and he has agreed to come to our site and teach.

The cost for his classes are $150/day per student. We will have 10-12 students per class. If you have an interest in bettering your blacksmithing skills you should consider attending the classes.

More details will be forthcoming. @Julie-Harris I think Joe got this approved by the BOD but I want to confirm this. The proceeds will be split between DMS and the NTBA.

4 Likes

Just talked to Joe at his physical therapy center. He’s in good spirits but still on pain killers not for his stroke but a kidney stone. They discovered this in the ER and plan to operate to remove it soon, but couldn’t do so until he had some success with treatment for his stroke.

He plans to come home his weekend. He’s been in therapy for three weeks and is progressing pretty well. He’s using a walker but can move his left leg and arm again after they were paralyzed due to the stroke.

He’s asked me to schedule a blacksmithing meeting and the August open forge. We’ll hold the open forge in the blacksmithing area and NOT outside, just as @raceman1590 did the last time. Thank you Nicholas.

Joe hopes to be able to attend the next blacksmithing meeting, but it will be a little while before he can blacksmith again.

9 Likes

First of all, thank you @coloneldan for the information and holding down the fort! Secondly, please let me know if help is needed at the open forge.

I will do my best to make the next blacksmithing meeting.

6 Likes

Glad to hear Joe is on the mend so quickly, hope he is back at the forge soon!

Can’t wait to see Mark’s events. I went to one of his teachings at Brookhaven several years ago, and besides being a fellow Brit, he knows his stuff and is very entertaining.

2 Likes

Yep, I checked to make sure and you are good to go on the event. Let us know if we can help in any way. I am so sorry to hear about Joe’s stroke and hope he makes a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated and let us know if there’s anything we can do.

4 Likes