March 2021 What's Cooking?

I’m going to have to try that! I have some field roast sausage in the fridge that I wasn’t sure what to do with.

Here’s the recipe I started with:

My wife and I thought it was a little heavy on the onion. Consider cutting back to one onion and perhaps add a sliced zucchini instead - that’s what we plan for the next iteration.

They said to simmer 20 mins - didn’t take that long for us, but we left it perhaps a little moister so there’d be a gravy/sauce when served over rice vs on a hoagie.

Note that you should peel the Field Roast sausage before cooking - it’s not an edible casing.

2 Likes

I needed to use up a jar of Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter so I made a pumpkin butter crumble. :grin:

8 Likes

SMART. TJs has bomb ass pumpkin butter! So far even from the local markets, theirs is spiced the best.

1 Like

Last weekend smoked bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers

8 Likes

I threw together a quick layer dip last night for dinner. I’m no longer on keto due to some medical issues, but I’m enjoying that I can have corn and beans again!

7 Likes

A first for me: collard greens. We’ve subscribed to Misfits Market and due to missing the customization window we got a mystery box of veggies, including collard greens.

Cooked them up in cast iron with onion, red pepper flakes, a splash of vinegar and brown sugar, and some cherry tomatoes added at the end.

Bright, spicy, and quite tasty. I’m a convert.

Served with corn bread and baked beans (didn’t have any black-eyed peas so we improvised).

7 Likes

That looks amazing!!!

Sorry, I couldn’t see the collard greens over those amazing looking beans and that cornbread!

1 Like

Here’s the cornbread recipe: once I made it from scratch, I completely stopped using the box/bag mixes. Works in a 12” or 10” cast iron skillet. Preheating the pan with some oil in it is key to getting the tasty crust around the edge.

I highly recommend the powdered buttermilk you can buy in the baking section of the grocery. Stores for months and is great for baking.

I don’t have a recipe for the beans. It’s starts with canned baked beans with a bunch of mix-ins. I didn’t measure but it was something close to:

2T spicy brown mustard
2T ketchup
1T brown sugar
2T dried onions
Healthy shake of garlic powder
Healthy shake of chili powder

Bake at 350 for 45-60 mins. The longer you bake the better the caramelized rind that forms on top. Sweet and savory at once.

6 Likes

Made a beer bread with a can of deep ellum Neato Bandito that I had in the fridge.

Recipe:
3 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 12 oz can of beer

Mix the dry ingredients
Pour in the beer and mix to a batter
Put it in a greased loaf pan
Pour the melted butter on top
Bake at 375 for 1 hour

7 Likes

Roast chicken with tahini, preserved lemons and zaatar.

Served it with a couscous with fennel, carrots, tomato and honey. Forgot to grab a picture of that before it was eaten.

7 Likes

Back out in Jacksboro having a bit of fun between working on the house and working on the truck (torque converter finally gave up and it’s getting new rings, bearings, ect)…

More to come…

4 Likes

Homemade Bread and Butter Pickles!
Recipe is mine iv been working on but I gotta tell ya these babies are delicious! Will be soon and selling at the local food stores around here and specialty shops around my area! Theyve been a hit!

8 Likes

I gotta say all these post have made me hungry to get my.munch on i will!

@Team_Admin Please Unpin

Thank you!