March 2018 Kiln News

Loaded up a glaze kiln last night. Not quite everything got in. There will be more firing…

2 Likes

Glaze fire unloaded.

4 Likes

Loaded another glaze kiln. Between one large awkward piece, and a boat-load of mugs, there were a few pieces left over.

Next up is a bisque kiln. I’ll assess how much is on the glaze shelf when I load bisque. If there’s just a bit, then I’ll load that glazed ware in the small kiln. If there’s already a lot, then I’ll load the big kiln again. Either way, there will be another glaze kiln soon.

Please note: if there are a lot of big-ish flat pieces, it’s actually harder to get them in. We’ve got plenty of shelves if everybody is making 3-4" tall pieces, not more than 3-4" in diameter. If there are a bunch of relatively flat pieces, we don’t really have enough shelves to load those well. Right now the committee is working on buying a new kiln, but a ball was dropped, so the proposal will go into the next board meeting.

2 Likes

Glaze kiln unloaded.

1 Like

Bisque kiln loaded. Got most of it in. The dusted pieces always make me a bit edgy. Will they stick? Will they not stick?

2 Likes

Bisque unloaded. A bunch is bisque from the previous kiln load is still on the shelves! Come snag your pieces before your 30 day grace period expires.

1 Like

Unloaded the glaze kiln today. Stuff for Kellie, and April, and a few other folks. One piece got a little exuberant with its’ dripping, and stuck slightly to the piece keeping it off the shelf. I didn’t force it, but it will probably come off fairly cleanly.

1 Like

Loaded up a bisque kiln Friday night. It should be cool enough to unload Sunday.

I’ll load up glaze on Sunday PM. That should be done Tuesday or Wednesday. After that, I’ll be loading another bisque. There was a lot left on the shelves, some of which was damp. There should be plenty to load another kiln.

1 Like

Glaze got loaded last night.

Bisque up next, and then another glaze. Lots of stuff still on shelves.

Oh, I need to write a note to the person whose mug got broken. Just a light tap as I was moving it, and the handle broke off.

And, Brenda has a bowl with a significant crack on the bottom. It may be repairable with some slip, but it won’t be fired it as-is.

What did the mug look like :cry:

White. Thin. It’s still on the shelf, just broken. If it’s not Frost, I’ve had some luck with repairing such breaks with some slip. I’ll double-check the specifics when I get back to the space.

I’m not sure if it’s the same one (a similar/same pitcher is there), but there’s a note from momo with an incorrect guess on the greenware shelf now. FWIW, the original item was not picked up by the handle.