Manual Lathe Training

Hi, all. Are there any anticipated classes on the horizon to get checked out on the manual lathe? I’ve taken the online course / quiz, and I’m already cleared to use both the wood lathe and the Bridgeport; plus I have some previous experience working with lathes of this type, albeit a while ago. I don’t know how many people are qualified to teach this… and I realize that teaching these basic classes can be a tedious chore, especially if people asking for them don’t really intend to use the equipment much after the class. However, there are a number of items and small tools I would like to make, and I would also like to ensure that I’m qualified when / if another CNC-related class comes up with the manual lathe as a prerequisite. If there is a suggestion of another method of getting signed off, I’m open to that as well; and I can be pretty flexible with day / time. Thank you in advance!

If you have completed the online class and have prior experience you might want to come to a Thursday night “Tool Time”" meeting at 6PM and inquire further. It might be possible to test out with someone or obtain some insight into the next machine side class/

3 Likes

Good suggestion… I’ll do that either this Thursday or next. Thank you.

I’d like engine lathe training and I’ve finished the online portion.

I will likely schedule a Colchester Lathe class for the day of the next committee meeting, Saturday, November 25th. Typically, I give either a lathe or mill class in the afternoon ahead of the monthly committee meeting.

Regards,
Bob

3 Likes

Sounds good… I’ll keep an eye on the calendar for that.

FYI to anyone who was watching for this… the class is now posted for 11/25. Looking forward to it!