Making my Introduction to the Digital Media discussion group

Greetings all,

I’m Rob (Phillips). I’m a non-traditional student, in that I have been a computer software developer/consultant for most of my life, then things changed. I got into the industry when a degree was not the most important thing and I was always on the ‘bleeding edge’ with my knowledge and skills. Then manythings changed at once and I found myself sitting on the bench.

So, after 20+ years in that game, I decided to pursue commercial photography and found that I loved art and pursued a formal degree (bachelor of fine art) at Texas A&M - Commerce. Loved it so much, I went right into grad school (for a master of fine arts degree). Two years in at the end of this semester. 1-2 left.

Anyway, as an overview, I am quite diverse in skills and knowledge, and will certainly have fun with you all at Dallas Makerspace. I have a lot of knowledge with Adobe software, entry level stuff like Glowforge, and AnyCubic 3D printers. I do tig welding, though still developing that skill, a little wood work, do some work with Arduino and Rasberry Pi boards…looking to do much more… I make art in multiple mediums, but principally my style is sculpture integrating video and tech.

Relevant: I make videos, and am versed in Adobe Premiere Pro, and After Effects; I spent 8 years on the production side as well, as a producer and director of live multimedia events for a mega church (hope that will not cause anyone to judge me :smile: ). Im no expert, but I have strong skills and a wide base of knowledge.

I am looking to get some high quality work done in 3D printing, and a good bit of metal work (plasma cutting and welding of small gauge steel sheet and 1 and 2" strapping and tubes and pipes. Actually my current project will also integrate some very small (1.25-1.5") video capable screens, with arduino or python control. I think I have seen some presented on Adafruit youtube channel.

Lets talk, lets have some coffee and chat, lets make work…

Hey it sounds like you got great experience with technology I’m also looking into into the field to do some work but have had no progress yet I would like to talk with you and we can discuss about these things I’m interested in learning from someone like you that can teach me something I’m also in digital art can would you be up to schedule a meeting at DMS and discuss about computer science and art?

Also please do message me if your also interested?

Message sent :+1:t4:

I have a BFA in New Media from Texas A&M University-Commerce (graduated magna cum laude in 2008). It was a good experience. Welcome to the Dallas Makerspace!

Thank you for the Welcome! Recall any of your instructors? I’m just wondering if any are still there. The program has undergone some major growth and changes since 2008. They just moved the entire VisCom organization (which is what New Media would fall under right now) into what was the Richards advertising building on 75, in Dallas. The program is outstanding.

I did a concentration in Commercial Photography which put me in with that group for a bunch of classes. Very competitive. Art Direction, 3D Design, Intro Typography, Logo and Logotype Design, and a couple others. Not my thing, though. I love Fine Art, though I do like to sell my work.