Makerspace Rosie? Do we want her

I painted the lobby 4 times… :joy: it’s 10-12’ halls/flex are 9’

2 Likes

Smack down with measuring tapes!

2 Likes

I agree with this idea. We would not have to insure it. People might actually want to maintain it if they have helped build it. We can design it to a size that fits the lobby. In a year if we are tired of looking at it and the PR Instagram moment has passed we can take it down instead of being stuck with maintain and insuring someone else’s work for TWO YEARS.

I LOVE STAR WARS. However does standing next to Yoda for a picture not skew young. We might consider having a competition for members to design something that represents all areas of DallasMaker space. We might even do a series of social media posts highlighting makers and the tools and processes they used to make their contributions. We could put up pictures of people working on their contribution in the lobby so it really becomes a talking point about us and what we have to offer when people come here. As a new member I could have cared less about standing next to an item made here but the tools you offer and what I can do with them was really important to me.

1 Like

I’m kind of like the classics myself, I’d say Vader and R2D2, with all the electronics possibilities they represent.

1 Like

I don’t like the idea of bringing in a piece we did not make ourselves. We’re a makerspace and should be able to make our own cool thing… Maybe use the $1000 towards materials if someone would approve it.

12 Likes

My sense is that this would be a variation on that clock on the north wall of the common room - something that gathers a degree of attention, but wasn’t a DMS project. Suspect the value of this artifact peaked when it was debuted and its meaning is highest for its creators … who have seemingly moved on since they’re giving it away.

An analogue would be The Lab displaying the Trebuchet in their space - only they’d have more connection to it than we seem to have with this sculpture.

I only remember because I can’t look up and had to use extensions in the lobby. :rofl:

This. Rosie may be super cool, but we didn’t make her. I’d rather have stuff that we made here.

5 Likes

I agree. The lobby showcases are all about showing what YOU can do here, not what someone else did that’s interesting. If we could put this monstrosity in the parking lot as a sign and attention-magnet, then fine. I’ve seen our lobby fill up with people, and this object would take the space out of makerspace.

3 Likes

Rosie is a big girl, and she is iconic. If we plan to house her, she needs a bigger room than the Lobby. Just now, the 2nd Gen Assy area isn’t being 100% utilized, she might make a stunning centerpiece there.

Also, how long will we display Rosie before she moves on? I have seen a couple of shows, which have gone around for decades, to different locales. There are other displays which simply end up somewhere. I can get behind bringing this piece here, if we can agree on a good place for it, and a time frame for its display.

Jen Schachter is a very nice person. I doubt she’d be the litigious type you’re describing. That said, I see no reason why we would want to risk screwing up somebody else’s creation (even though she sourced 3D-Printed components for the sculpture from makers worldwide).

1 Like

I agree. Let’s make something!

Especially if it highlights as many different committee areas as possible.

Well what do yall want to make? Does anyone want to actually spearhead this?

What I noticed about large pieces is that they require alot of whatever its made out of. So start stockpilling something with a common theme

Here’s an idea.
Stock pile all the broken or used up tools for 3 months in a bin.
If a trend or theme in the bin starts emerging go with that.
If no trend emerges or ideas come forth set a disposal date.

Could be some kind of saw blade monster with ryobi hands, drill bit fingers & failed 3D Prints as a head.

4 Likes

We all think this is a really great idea and have started organizing the creation of an attention grabbing project for the lobby. It should speak to the capabilities of DMS and be something interesting/unique for social media photo ops.
Artisans interested should submit a proposal and pictures of past work to [email protected]
Currently only accepting submissions from DMS members.
More details to come about max dimensions and safety requirements.

3 Likes

If we had this sculpture, Adam Savage would still not visit us.

5 Likes

and powered by vintage computing tech

1 Like

Have we sent out a personal invite?

The ceiling in the west (i.e., front) 2/3rds of the “new” lobby is 9’ 8" high.

1 Like