Makerspace Library?

I have a few Taunton Press “Fine Woodworking” books in a box that should be being appreciated.

Does the Woodshop have a library?

I’ll donate them to DMS, but not for someone to hoard in their personal library.

2 Likes

We actually have a good number of woodworking books that were donated to woodshop a while back, but we’re currently holding them in purgatory. Hope we find a place we can put them to be enjoyed and not destroyed by dust, etc.

1 Like

Perhaps we need to make a small library room/corner. Machine shop has stuff of the similar, I think they would fit better (not be destroyed) in a cleaner environment like a impromptu library.

4 Likes

A dedicated bookshelf in common room?

6 Likes

We have the textbooks in science. Maybe we can drop then off there until later? The computer lab or a classroom can also work once we get some bookshelves

There should be an Ikea billy bookcase in the warehouse that can be used. I think a small library in the common room is a good idea.

9 Likes

We used to have a lender library, back in the olden days at Mockingbird Ladybird. I’d like to see it return as well.

3 Likes

What about dedicating a common room for use as a library/tree of knowledge for the entire 'Space?

Could call it “The Sticky Wiki’t” and use it as if it were the physical manifestation of the information in (and not in) the wikis.

2 Likes

Assuming you mean Ladybird, was it in the room just off of the front door (before you got to the darkroom “man trap”?)

Yeah, Ladybird. A white 6’ bookshelf was in the main front-to-back hallway on the left side, before where Alyssa’s laser was stationed. I can remember a selection of Make Magazine issues from the first year - led me to sign up for a subscription which I still maintain today.

1 Like

I second this idea.
The purple classroom across from the bathrooms by creative arts doesn’t seem to have a lot going on much more than storage these days, it would not be hard to make that into a small, yet large enough to encompass sections for all departments.
And honestly, if it’s set up right there could be a section for each department with a couple sections left over for extra interest like culinary, Etc.
Maybe, just maybe even a small (18"x48") table to sit down.

Just my $.02 for what its worth.

What about a couple of bookcases in the galley or common room?

That would really depend on what the ultimate goal is and what everyone wants.

Do we just want to have a shelf to put a book or two on some of the subjects for a couple of departments?
Or
Do we want an area that has multiple books for all the Departments?

If it’s option one, a simple bookshelf in the common room would suffice.
If it’s option two, then someplace like the purple classroom would be optimal.

And that’s if it is overall decided that it’s even really worth the effort because at the end of the day, the YouTube and (sometimes) Google is your friend. But, when using YouTube and Google you have to know exactly what you’re looking for most of the time whereas with magazines and books, you tend to be exposed to things, ideas or solutions that you wouldn’t have thought about otherwise.

1 Like

I was thinking option 1, growing into option 2 if it’s popular.

Whereas I would be kind of inclined to agree, I could also see where having a single bookshelf in the common room could hinder growth as well.

For example, shortly after I joined many years ago I noticed the book cart in Creative Arts and made mention to a group sitting at one of the tables at the time that I had some books on quilt making, leatherworking and origami (? If i remember correctly) and I was met with a resounding “no” from them.
No Direction who to talk to, nothing.
Just no.
Their reasoning was that the cart was full with no more room and they didn’t feel that anyone used it enough to justify it being there so if I left books for the book cart, they would just be thrown away.
Now that was several years ago but I would worry that having a single Shelf would promote that mentality again in which case would hender the growth.

Also add in the fact that having a slightly larger dedicated “Library” area would potentially add to awareness, involvement, use and growth of the library.

1 Like

I can see this, but I think it’s more a function of organization and communication. If they are just dropped and not organized, curated, or communicated the result will be the same.

the problem here is I assume, common. I’ll donate material, but I don’t want to manage it.

To be completely honest, if it was going into the purple classroom and it was a pet project kind of like the arcade, I wouldn’t mind working on it and starting to put it together, as I had time.

I mean, let me be clear, I’m not looking to be a Sig leader or a chairperson, etc but as a pet project that I could work on and maintain as I have time, yeah, I would do that.
Oddly, I think it would be kind of relaxing.

I was thinking just a little bit ago that next time I’m in there (later tonight or sometime tomorrow) I might take measurements of the purple classroom and draw up a rough floor plan for no more than just my own curiosity, lol

2 Likes

I have written why I do not support this idea, but Talk won’t allow me to post it due to technical reasons. I might try again later today.

Woodshop is currently purging the remains of the last library.

DMS doesn’t need more managers looking for tasks to be completed by others. We have a rule in Woodshop: NO DUMPING WORK ON OTHERS

As general note:
The are very few volunteers at DMS. We welcome new ones. There is an existing backlog of important things that need doing. Please contact @Julie-Harris or @jphelps to help on primary organizational needs.

P.S. Since book donations come up frequently enough… A rare book - place it on the freebie shelf, book collections go to Half Price books. You can donate the proceeds to DMS. This may sound harsh until you are one of the lucky few that have to take crap to the dumpster when the shine wears off.

We are open to donated CD-ROM that can be networked.

Ok.
You don’t want any part of this.
Great.
And that’s fine, not everything interests everyone or gets everyone’s support. That’s understandable.

But please, try not to discourage others because they don’t volunteer their free time for what you think they should.

If you have a valid opinion in opposition, feel free to voice it. That is the nature of debate.

P.S. I fixed the title and the topic because this isn’t strictly woodshop, metal shop, blacksmithing, ect topic.

2 Likes

History repeats once again?

Not exactly as you want to spin it. - What I suggested is to help with a multitude of items that need to be done around DMS. This kind of like adopting a pet, instead of breeding more kittens.

This idea has been done in the past and failed. Ask Dwight (@Denzuko) about his computer library. Remember that one?

Ask @artg_dms about donations to electronics and people who drop off junk they can’t stand to throw away.

Ask @Photomancer about the Creative Arts library of books and how that went.

DMS seems to attract hoarders. Hoarders can’t bring themselves to throw things away. So, you are advocating creating a dump station for old books and magazines. This might seem harsh, but that is what it is. Another version of the freebie shelf.

Sometimes DMS reminds me of a pet shelter. I wonder what the ratio of volunteer offers are between being a puppy petter vs. cleaning out the crates?

Every time a member walks in the door, they might consider how many people have been scooping that week at DMS so they can play. A particular member’s dues help cover in a tiny way, the 10’s of thousands of dollars paid in rent and electricity each month. There is one lone house keeper that does light cleaning and the rest rooms. Everything else, and I mean everything, is done by someone you might pass in the hall.

What I suggested was to help shovel one the existing piles that are required for DMS to function, instead of creating a brand new one that has historically failed multiple times.

I do hope you enjoy your next visit.

To everyone else reading this, please consider volunteering just 1/2 a day per year on actual projects that are being managed by @jphelps or @Julie-Harris. You have no idea how much this would help DMS and how appreciated you would be. Please make a difference for DMS

Public Relations
Organizing Things
Cleaning Tools
Helping with our Auction
Own a Classroom
Own a Tool
Wash a Window
Paint a Wall
It goes on, and on, and on…

Don’t just be another “puppy petter”, please reach out to @jphelps and @Julie-Harris and pitch in, so they can lay down their shovel every once in awhile and make stuff too.

1 Like