Makerspace in Fort Worth / Tarrant County?

Continuing the discussion from The thread where we look at other maker/hacker spaces and what they do:

@Mcnewt

Hi Tim, I can answer a lot of the questions about what happened but here is a pretty good write up of what happened.

6 Likes

Speaking as a maker who lives in Tarrant county, I drive over to the exceedingly convenient DMS location at 635/35. If only we could take over Fry’s, we’d have plenty of space. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Taking over Fry’s would definitely be cool. However my question concerning FW/Tarrant County started with making sure we don’t cannibalize our great current space… Think branch office NOT competitor. Dallas works great for me because I work up the street, I know others don’t come as often because they have no reason to come over this way.

I’m also in Tarrant County. Having a closer MakerSpace would be fantastic, but not at the cost of splitting the equipment that’s at DMS now. Even now though, the drive is worth it, for what I get out of the space.

3 Likes

Our own @Mary_Mathias used to organize Tarrant Makers and still runs the DFW Makers Meetup page. It was interesting, knowing Randy (texrat) and having talked it over with Mary as well as Rich Osman (another board member there), to hear their varying takes on the original Fort Worth makerspace attempt. The biggest thing I’m worried about is fragmenting the group and rarely seeing the awesome folks who make the trek from out west.

3 Likes

The Walsh Makerspace, where i work, is right outside the West side of Fort Worth, about 5-10 minutes from the White Settlement/River Oaks area right off I-30 W, exit Walsh Ranch Parkway. We are open Wednesday thru Sunday.

4 Likes

http://library.nrhtx.com/322/The-Maker-Spot

The Maker Spot is also great.

2 Likes

I thought that was for residents only?

That’s 10 minutes from me, but alas, no laser.

Perhaps it was when it first opened, but there have been external memberships since i have been there for the past year. But yes - for the monthly fee you can use it! $50 a month with an additional $10 per family member.

1 Like

Oh yeah? I might have to check that out. You all need any Leather Instructors?

1 Like

I know we pay a small honorarium to instructors who offer courses, we keep our staff pretty trim though to keep costs down. (i work part time here and have other things/gigs to fill the gaps) it wouldn’t hurt to call and ask my boss though!

Just curious. It’s not like I’m looking for work, but it’s the one skill I can teach, and I like options. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know this is an old thread but I’d like to share what I’ve been working on in Tarrant county. I’ve leased a space and have the beginnings of a makerspace in Tarrant County. It’s located at 8151 White Settlement Road. It’s called the Tarrant County Makerspace. Do a google search and you will find our website. We also have a FB page and group. Search for Tarrant County Makerspace and you can see photos and videos of the space. It’s a small space 1400 sf, so it’s small but with the help and interest of the community we can grow from here.

My contact info

Aaron Melven
[email protected]
817-565-2165

4 Likes

Aaron, we wish you much success! As you have done lots of research on Makerspaces, running a Makerspace is very hard. For those that wanting to provide a job or to make money it is even harder!

Do what we did at DMS, grow slowly to not outstrip the cash and other resources you have access to.

2 Likes