MakerSpace Bee Hive make our own honey?

Should be at the space this Sunday afternoon, may teach a class at the end of the month on basic hive construction

2 Likes

oh wow can we meet and discuss it?

Heck yeah, perhaps we need 2 start a Bee committee at the makerspace

do you have your own hives?

Should talk to Brian Stout in the Woodshop (doesn’t get on here much). He makes some really nice beehives using scrap lumber, and is a good source of maker information.

6 Likes

Bee Source also has a set of detailed plans from making beekeeping and honey processing equipment. Make sure you honor “bee space” in anything you make so that your boxes will be well-accepted by the bees and will play nice with commercial equipment.

IMHO, it doesn’t make economic sense for a hobbyist to make his/her own frames: it requires many jigs and setups to execute, and buying them is cheap, cheap, cheap. Using commercial frames with homemade equipment only works, however, if you make compatible boxes.

2 Likes

smashing! I have some Texas wildflower seeds to donate to the committee and could do a seed bomb class.

2 Likes

The City of Carrollton (most cities are the same) has tracts of land owned by the city and for various reasons not being used.

My idea was to approach the city and request a parcel of this land for public (read DMS) use. a one or two acre track could hold dozens of hives. This would allow DMS to start a Beekeeping group and allow the city to boast about it’s efforts to help the struggling Bee population…

6 Likes

If you guys get a polished proposal together I can get you in touch with the correct people in Carrollton.

6 Likes

No real good on Polished proposals, but I do have the new Mayor’s ear

2 Likes

I would love to have a large number of bee hives somewhere in carrolton, I would like to raise the honey and sell it as a fundraiser for Science department.

2 Likes

Know of any land where the owner would like a Farm exemption?

Yeah, but my land is out north of Abilene. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i really really want some beeweaver bees. i think i missed the season or events they were selling at :confused:

Just pondering here but couldn’t we set up a community garden of sorts on the roof?

We could put an apiary in a corner and have a small container garden up there filled with local wildflowers.

Maybe put a bench or two as well?

2 Likes
1 Like

If we can’t have honey bees, we might be able to have mason bees. Mason bees don’t swarm and generally don’t sting. There wouldn’t be any honey but they are still useful for pollination.

1 Like

I’d love to help or have a have if we find land. I want bees but my HOA won’t allow it of course…

Some of us do not wish to be even NEAR bees.

I there is to be a bee project, it needs to be far away from the space.

1 Like

There is a valid point underlining your post. Some individuals are allergy to Apis mellifera and a few suffer from Apiphobia.

The roof top garden though would still be great to have.