Maker story two

I spoke to a gentleman yesterday who joined DMS with the intent to only stay for one month because he had everything he needed to do what he wanted except for one machine that he could not afford to get on his own and he wanted to use ours for a project. But then something funny happened he said; He started meeting people up here. People with which he had things in common. He travels all over to put up climbing walls. His work is amazing and he doesn’t have any reason to come back to DMS except for one thing he says. The people. See somebody started talking to him. Started sharing what they did and he shared his work and all of a sudden he was engaged into the space and that amazing thing that we have called community worked its magic. He tells me that he has no plans to quit here because he’s made connections that he is not wanting to give up.
This is the Dallas makerspace I know. I hope you know it too :blush:

Kris, In almost all human endeavors people are what make it worthwhile. Whether it is seeing a child learn and grow, or somebody successfully make something they’ve never made before, or joining a group effort to achieve a common goal people are what make it worthwhile. I’m always blown away by the things people make at DMS.

DMS has many wonderful tools and many exciting challenges, but what makes it special to me are the people here. Makers are a very special group. NONE of us are a like, and we have a diverse set of interests, but we can do some amazing things together.

The day I was having trouble with my dye sub project and you volunteered to help me is just one example of why DMS is such a great place. I am very glad you are willing to serve on our board and for the many people you’ve helped at DMS. I’m grateful to you for these stories, too. You epitomize the best things about DMS. Thank you for sharing these.

4 Likes

Probably time for another group project. Brainstorming some ideas.

2 Likes

Two life-size Rockem sockem robots. Anybody who wants to argue on talk can challenge each other then the loser has to stay quiet for two weeks :joy::joy:

1 Like

I would greatly prefer actual DMS boxing matches with pads if needed.

1 Like

Are you volunteering? :joy:

I would love to, but I’m pretty sure I would get hideously sued for all of the broken noses I would inflict. :frowning: