Make a Map: Maptime Dallas meetup coming to DMS on 3/18!

Maptime is an organization started by enthusiasts in San Francisco who love (and live on the cutting edge of) making maps for any reason using any medium. Their primary focus is Web mapping. Maptime has a chapter here that usually meets near Dallas City Hall, but on Wednesday, March 18, I will be hosting their March meetup at DMS!

There really is a lot more to making a Web-based map beyond just using Google Maps! Come join us and use your favorite tool (or explore one of the tools mentioned in this slideshow http://maptime.io/anatomy-of-a-web-map/) to build static or Web maps portraying real city data using cutting-edge technology.

All skill levels are welcome, as long as you are interested in Web mapping. There are many tools available that minimize or eliminate coding altogether, and in fact, much of their current membership is not really experienced in Web programming. As such, there will be a crash course in any relevant JavaScript or CSS needed to create and stylize interesting map applications, if so desired. Attendees will pair off into small groups in order to generate a Web map, and possibly make interesting data visualizations and applications as well.

Need any more incentives to come out? Here are several more:

• I will personally fund the cost of printing a nice, large paper copy of your map on our Wide Format Printer if desired.
  • We will be providing means to serve your map app on the Internet for all to see, if desired.
  • Thanks to Maptime HQ, we will have pizza at the event!

I hope to see you there! Please RSVP on Meetup or on this thread so we can get an accurate headcount for pizza.

Thanks,
Stephen Wylie, DMS Civic Hacking cmte chair

1 Like

Interested - especially if it eliminates coding, which I have no love of.

I have you down for 6:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. in the Commons Area. Another group will be in Conference Room B, Web and Mobile Development at the same time.

I convinced Noah to join our two Meetups together for Wednesday night. It should be a good time! :smile:

1 Like

I am in, looking forward to it. Thanks for having the class.