Machining Car Door Hinge (Dihedral Synchro-Helix Hinge)

Those’re the cheap ones, aren’t they? They just mimick the Lambo scissor door action, without the Koenigsegg trademark dihedral syncro movement (outward AND upward pivot, rather than swing).
The diff can be seen in this video at this time:

vs

yea as the video show, they are different and the koenigsegg dihedral doors are beautiful mechanical engineering that will need less maintenance in the long run. I believe each hinge cost 40,000 if i were to order them straight from the dealership. Haha

I know iv seen CAD models somewhere… i wonder if there is libraries i could search…

I did some deep deep searching and paid a person in France for these. Also got DXF files. Anyone know whats my next step?

Attachment.pdf (60.0 KB)
Bushings.pdf (66.8 KB)
Gear.pdf (72.9 KB)
Beam.pdf (62.3 KB)
Doorhinge.pdf (69.4 KB)

1 Like

Is there a specific type of steel i should be using? Also can i melt scrap steel and use that?

From Google: Can you melt steel at home?

What is the easiest way to melt metal at home? The easiest way to melt metal into liquid is to heat it in a small, enclosed vessel that is heated from below. You can make your own using a small empty propane tank or metal bucket, plaster of paris, sand, metal pipe, charcoal briquettes, and a steel can.Feb 9, 2023

Whoever wrote this wasn’t thinking clearly. If you’re hot enough to melt steel (2200-2500F), then you might also be melting your metal bucket. Amazon has a few crucibles for melting steel listed, and they’re made out of graphite.

Still, scrap steel isn’t going to be good enough quality to hold up to the stresses on that hinge. You might use that for a practice run, but not for the actual hinges.

Just built a mini forge and its melting copper. Will be melting steel by the end of the month for a different project. Whats the type you recommend? Iv only heard of stainless and 304. Might be a stretch but titanium or carbon fiber maybe? I appreciate the info :metal:

I pulled this response from back in February. Metallurgy isn’t my field, but Photomancer worked in the aircraft manufacturing field, and he knows his metals.

I just googled “ksi”, and realized that the other important word is “high”. You want a high value for the kilopounds per sq inch that the steel will withstand. Scrap steel is more dubious. I’m not sure exactly how you might improve the ksi value of your home-smelted steel.

1 Like

It says the materials you should be using in the assembly print called “Doorhinge”.

I would start with the largest part which is the part called “Beam” denoted as item 28 in the parts list in the lower right side of the Doorhinge assembly print.

“Beam” is made of Aluminum 6082, you can use any 6000 series aluminum and you will probably end up using the more common Aluminum 6061.

“Beam” needs to be machined. You could redesign the part for casting, but even if you do cast it, you will have to do post machining to fit the bearings/bushings so you mine aswell bite the bullet and just machine it to begin with.

If you are able to learn how to machine “Beam” and do it successfully you will be well setup to know how to go about doing the rest of the parts so that is where all your focus should be.

3 Likes

304 is a type of stainless. Stainless casting is a complex science because a lot of the components have very different melting points so it’s often a challenge to end up with both the right proportions and grain structure that makes it stainless. There are a number of variations of Stainless Steel that melt in the range 2,550 to 2,790 °F depending on type. Many (most?) grades don’t heat treat well and are cold worked to harden.

Titanium is another class altogether, it’s melting point is 3034F

1 Like

If BoM calls out Aluminum that’s what you use. Looked it up, it can be gotten as an extrusion so you can have grain direction, but it apparently is very Heat Treatable. But being aluminum very machinable. Does it specify a temper, specifically T-3XX? If T-3XX you can’t HT.

Ah. Good old fashioned metrimperial US customary units…

3 Likes

You like the metric inch as well?

1 Like

Uh, car tires? Width in MM and Diameter in Inches

2 Likes

denial isn’t that what it is ? Or hanging onto to something by a thread?

The French tried, God bless’em…
Even got buy-in from Big Names, including this side of the pond, but to no avail.

1 Like

Some Saab Story had the 390mm back in those times - brillant!

Yea your right… machining parts sounds like the path ill have go. What kind of machine does the maker space have that will do what i need and is there a class on how to use it?

I answered this in the first reply to your first post

Take a class on both manual mill and lathe, then both CNC mill and lathe, and then start planning out how to machine your part into what you want.

Classes are being taught on the manual mill and lathe once you’ve completed the self-study, and you’ll need to take both of those and show a little mastery of them before you jump to the CNC stuff.

Look for the machine online classes in the Learn “tag” under the Member Portal at the top right corner of the home page for DMS. It’s the top hamburger if you’re on your phone.