Machining an ER11 collet in a quill

I am looking into making a stainless steel quill for one of my faceting handpieces, and I want to put an ER11 collet on the end. One of the issues I’m dealing with is how to machine the 8 degree inner taper. I bought a small boring bar, but it is too big to go deep enough (I think).

I thought about an 8 degree taper end mill bit, but those suckers are expensive. But that may be what I have to do.

Does any have any advice on how to best accomplish this?

Thanks,

Steve

I have some very small carbide boring bars . We could swing the headstock of the Sherline lathe to the included angle and bore it internally . Or we could adapt the small boring bar to the tormach and do it that way with an internal taper . The other way is the take an existing er11 collet holder device and adapt it to your quill I have some er 11 collets in a holder that I hold in a larger collet for my Sherline cnc lathe at home .

Something like this

C8-ER11A-100L Collet Chuck Holder Portable Straight Shank Extension Lathe Rod CNC Lathe Tool Power Tools https://a.co/d/5Gk3aXP

Or even better this
ER11 Collet Chuck,Lathe ER11 Collet Holder, Reduce Costs, Improve Efficiency, for Boring, Milling, Drilling, Tapping, Grinding and Other Processing Amazon.com

1 Like

I am going out of town for a week or so. I’ll look you up when I get back on the small boring bars. I’d actually thought of the tormach, because if I get this to work, I might have to make several.

Are you going to be at tool time? Or in the space after lunch? I wanted to discuss the ER-11 collet taper with you if you have time…