Machine Shop Tool Wish List

I received this answer from Taig:

The ER16 spindle has a 22mm x 1.5 mm OD thread.

Which makes it incompatible with pretty much everything we own. Sherline now makes a few chucks (models 1032, 1042 and 1078) with that thread. They’re $168 to $205 each.

This is fantastic to hear, where are the being stored? I just looked for a 1/8th end mill and there aren’t any in the endmill draws

In the Sherline cabinet. Please put them back there when you are finished.

1 Like

Anything smaller than 1/4". Also metric sizes are scarce.

I did some google fu this week and found the OEM for some of Grizzly’s import Lathes. It turns out that they make a desktop CNC Lathe.

I have emailed for pricing but have not heard back yet.

Ooooohhhhhh! Since it has the ability to slant the slideway or transpose the tailstock. It can make tapers! Yes!

1 Like

I was tapping some holes this week and was reminded that our tapping machine is missing some of it collets. Could they be replaced?

I think these are the right ones:
https://www.ebay.com/p/HHIP-3900-0289-9-piece-Tap-Adapter-Set-for-Hand-Tapper/7017520956?iid=232872540086

I came across this yesterday evening.

https://www.skyhookmfr.com/products.html

2 Likes

was curious on price, so here’s what a quicky search turned up, just for ballpark
https://handtrucks2go.com/Sky-Hook-42-High-Portable-Jib-Steel-Crane-Model-8527.html
seems like a nice unit…

I actually really like the idea of that plus the mobile base… in college during bonfire cut (tree harvesting) we used to send freshman throughout the woods asking upperclassmen where they could find the “left handed skyhook”. I wonder if I’ve finally found it.

I like the rolling carts also - the problem is the lathes, Bridgeport, etc. all have fatigue mats on the floor that make it difficult to roll the carts up to the machines. With only a 21" arm it would have to be rolled right up to machine.

I really like how the Chuck Hooks balance them and will make it easy to mount and dismount chucks without straining your back on banging up the locators

With the new layout, we can roll up over the back side if the lathes… otherwise those mats scoot much easier than a 300lb chuck. Food for thought.

1 Like

yes we’ve talked about something like this before - especially for the heavy bridgeport accessories. that got mitigated with the hydraulic carts. For the lathes, you can still use the hydraulic carts to at least lift it to the bed and slide it onto the wood covers. that only leaves an 8 or so inch lift that has to occur. But I know - it’s a damn heavy 8 inch lift while you’re fiddling trying to align the posts.
Perhaps we could just bolt something like this directly to each lathe. As I said, the bridgeport is taken care of.

As @JRay points out - if we can roll up over the back of the lathes, couldn’t something like this be used (at 1/5th the cost). And it folds up.

Or maybe this mounted permanently behind each lathe:

1 Like

I like the truck bed mounted crain idea.

We could mount that to a beefy steel cart if we wanted a mobile thing

Why don’t we just weld up a damn I beam or C channel along the long axis of new machineshop and throw a chain hoist on a set of trucks. Wheel your cart somewhere under the beam, hoist whatever up, then slide it to whatever machine you want.

yes, something like that has been discussed in the past. But unless someone actually steps up and does it, it is often easier just to purchase something turn key. we all seem to find ourselves more and more busy with the growth we’ve had.

Carbide tips for the big lathe so stainless steel can be cut

Pretty much my sentiment. As much as I would love to build one, there is an apparent shortage of time in a day. Only 24 hrs…

1 Like