Machine Shop Tool Wish List

I would like to see a set of nice drill bits since we are missing most sizes. A set of number, fraction & letter cobalt drill bits to be used with the Bridgeport collets. Something like this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/115-Piece-Cobalt-Drill-Bit-Set-w-Case/386760606?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=9126&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9026815&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115781808&wl11=online&wl12=386760606&wl13=&veh=sem

Over your dead body LOL :joy:

I donā€™t think itā€™s that hard. Only 2 axis to deal with. Plus I do it on a regular basis. The controller makes all the difference

1 Like

As a teaching tool Iā€™d vote for a 5-axis machine. Ok perhaps we canā€™t afford the necessary $600 k for a good one but pocketNC makes a desktop model for 100th the cost. But the machine shop committee already poo-pooed the idea so if you want to learn 5 axis programming youā€™re on your own

1 Like

Amen brother :pray:. Iā€™ve had 1 problem in 16 years on my ULS American made laser with at least 1500 hours/year of actual burn time. I donā€™t think the Chinese lasers Dms have even go 15 hours before there is some type of issue. Of course I donā€™t have ~2000 of my closest ā€˜friendsā€™ using and abusing mine either. Same for my wood shop, Cnc machine, saws, and misc. equipment. But American. Home Depot and harbor freight are not generally domestic.

The Sherline CNC Chucker looks like it would be a good option. The only real difference I can see on it from our current Sherline CNC Lathe is the length of the cross slide. I wonder if Sherline would sell us just the cross slideā€¦

The cost of the CNC Chucker is about ~$3k +Tooling
http://www.sherlineipd.com/chucker_lathe.htm

Another desktop CNC Lathe is the one made by Taig. The Taig Turn 2000 though it looks similar the Sherline it appears a good bit beefier. The Taig uses R8 Collets for the spindle and has beefy steel ways instead of the Sherlineā€™s 3C collets and smaller steel ways. The Taig also comes with a .25 hp spindle motor vs. the Shirlineā€™s 0.08 hp motor.

The cost of Taig Turn 2000 is about ~$4k + Tooling
http://www.taigtools.com/taigturn2000.html

Edit:
Given that both of these tools run mach3 so adding a touch probe to find the workpiece and drill bit offsets is viable.
https://drewtronics.org/

https://www.engravingbit.com/CNC%20probe%20and%20tool%20height%20setter.html

For the drill bit offset we could probably get away with just a micro switch.

Tooling cost is a major cost. We have about $4K in Sherline Tooling/Acessories. What is compatible with Taig?

1 Like

As far as I can tell the Taig would be able to use the same 5C collets we use on the Bridgeport. If we wanted to get a 3 or 4 jaw chuck for the Taig that would definitely be an added cost.

As far as tool posts and holders we would need to buy or make them for both machines. The Sherline tool posts/holders seem to run about $75 each. The Taig tool posts/holders seem be around the $90 mark.

https://sherline.com/product-category/accessories/lathe-accessories/tool-posts/

http://www.taigtools.com/taigturn2000.html

The cutting tools themselves would be compatible.

Given any machine we would go with would have a fix set of tools I think that cost would be relatively well controlled.

The most affordable option for getting a really capable machine would be to see if Sherline would sell us the longer cross slide for our existing cnc lathe.

Edit:
I donā€™t know if this is compatible with our lathe but it is worth looking at:

http://www.sherlineipd.com/manslide.htm

1 Like

Several things to addressā€¦

The Sherline collet set is a must, along with a collet stop! Not sure if we need the Serline chucker. That is normally intended for production work.

As far as cutting stainless on the bandsaw. I have not had a problem cutting 303. The slower speed for steel, plenty of lubricant, keeping the work and blade clean, using the heavy portable vice normally found @ the drill press. 303 cut like butter albeit letting the blade do the work with a very light pressure exerted on the vice. I had to revert to using the bandsaw, as the wheel on the long cut-off saw was still out for re-sharpening.

Taig is a good but very basic machine. There are many internet discussions regarding upgrades and modifications. I was able to visit the factory on several occasions, as they were near proximity to my Alma Mater. Anyhow, I have done VERY tight tolerance production work with this lathe, somehow clocking it in so that my finished product as within 0.0005 or less! Yesā€¦thatā€™s 0.0005! I was using this to produce parts for a small electronics firm operating under the DoD! They were developing splices to repair hi-tech fiber-optic devices in the field. The material was Invar and Kovar. Somehow, I was able machine a profiled geometry 0.040 diameter then drill and ream a .030 hole thru that material! Each part was approx. 1. 5 inches long. All done on a Taig! I machined several hundred pieces this way. Because of the work-hardening properties of this material, my finish pass was 0.010, leaving a 0.0005 tolerance. Cranked that carriage as fast as I could dial, and learned how to obtain an excellent finish! Definitely a screw or Swiss machine job!

Different topicā€¦

My personal Machinist tools are all Starrett. I am in the process of sending several in to Starrettā€™s Service Dept for some tlc. They charge approx. $80.00 to mechanically overhaul a o.d. micrometer, which includes replacing all worn/damaged parts. For an extra $40, they will re-powder coat or re-chrome the frames per the original spec. SLC is extra. They also provide a custom engraving/identification serviceā€¦but this is quite pricy. Anyhow, I just received my 20 year old well used 2-inch micrometer back, and it looks and functions as if t were brand new!

2 Likes

I think we are imaging two different workflows for CNC Lathe. In my mind we would be setting up the lathe with a fix set of tools most users are not allowed to change. For example:

• Tool 1: Touch probe
  • Tool 2: general purpose profile/facing tool
  • Tool 3: Center Drill
  • Tool 4: Drill bit chuck
  • Tool 5: Boring Bar
  • Tool 6: Cut off tool

All of these tools would be setup in a gang on the cross feed table.

People would have to design their parts and do the CAM with only these tools. This would probably cover ~80 to 90% of applications.

If someone has a particular need and applicable training they could change the tools on the lathe to fit their needs, then change it back at the end.

Given that workflow a gang lathe is what we would want. I think it is important to minimize the number of variables the average user needs to keep in mind.

I just looked at the Taig 2000 and its variants. It appears to be available with either an ER16 or a 5C spindle head. The 5C head limits us to collet use, with a max diameter of 1-1/16". If we only want to use collets, then the 5C would be a better system than the ER16, but this seems like a big limitation if itā€™s our only CNC lathe. The ER16 spindle may possibly be threaded 3/4"-16, which is the same as Sherline. Iā€™ve emailed Sales to ask them.

I reviewed our list of Sherline lathe accessories, and calculated our expenditure (after our 10% discount). All of the Sherline lathe accessories total about $880, not including the cutters themselves. We bought:

• steady and follower rest, radius cutter, knurling tool - about $290
  • various tool holders including quick change - about $290
  • two scrolling chucks, faceplate - about $300

The steady/follower rests, radius cutter and knurling tool wonā€™t be compatible because the ways on the Sherline are a different configuration than the Taig. The tool holders wonā€™t be compatible (with the possible exception of the rocker tool holder) because the height to centerline is different.

If we buy the Taig with the 5C head on it, the $300 of chucks/faceplate will also not be compatible but might be compatible with the ER16 head.

3 Likes

I have a Tormach PCNC 1100 thats exceeded my expectations for a few years now. We only run it in soft metals and composites but its a great machine for the price, amd cheap to tool up with TTS system.

On the cold saw note, I sell the FEIN slugger cold saw, beats evo and dewalt hands down but similar price point. Iā€™ll give DMS a discount on the tool, and can bring a demo tool up when theres a committee meeting.

2 Likes

I like the idea of collet only system for a CNC lathe as it limits potential failure modes. There is a much smaller risk of stock being incorrectly secured and getting launched into the air.

1 Like

The main problem with collets is you are limited to the shape of the collet and specific sizes of material that fit them. But they do grip better and center the material better.

1 Like

Would really like to see the smaller sizes of end mills and drill bits replenished.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your definition of ā€œsmaller sizesā€ of end mills?

We just bought a few 1/16" and 1/8" end mills a couple weeks ago. We didnā€™t buy anything smaller than that because they break so easily.

1 Like

It would be wise to invest in a small-medium sized EDM tap buster to removeā€¦ahemā€¦broken taps or bust out rusted/damaged hardware for those needing to fix something!