Machine Shop Project

I’d be interested in helping.

1 Like

Now that’s what I want to see. People who are willing to cut some metal! @bgangwere , correct me if I am wrong, but the idea behind this project is for those without much experience using the machine shop to actually cut some metal with the assistance/guidance of the more experienced members.

Yes. Though I think that probably encompasses the majority of the membership (including me). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I’m willing to help out if it fits into my schedule but I have literally 0 experience machining metal aside from drilling through it on a drill press. Lots of experience with woodworking, but I’ve not messed with metal much in the past (someday I’ll learn welding though, someday…).

1 Like

I’d love to participate in a project like this, schedule allowing!

I’d like to build one of these:

http://www.oldstylelisters.com/

But that requires casting iron… unless it could be made with an aluminum block! :smile:

Most anything that uses cast iron for things like this can be made from aluminum, if you machine steel liners. For instance most engines seem to have gone to aluminum engine blocks, but the cylinders are lined with steel. So that is very doable.

I think flywheels are the exception. The mass is a critical component.

1 Like

Yes, but you can usually sibstitute brass or bronze for those, and we can cast both of those materials as well. And the flywheels in those two metals look better IMO.

1 Like

Any news on this group build?

The first build session is scheduled for this Saturday, at 1:00p in the machine shop. The second has also been scheduled for July 1st at 7:00p? There will likely be at minimum several (perhaps more then several) more as well, but @bgangwere hasn’t scheduled them yer as far as I know.

Planning to be there for both sessions. Hoping to contribute.

1 Like

Thanks!!! (20 characters…)

Awesome first day!!
I learned to turn the lathe on.
Hands on so much better than reading the directions, which I did peruse, but did not understand the whole LVM thing and such.

Again, had lots of fun, learned/re-learned a LOT! Looking forward to continuing!
Thank you Bryan!

Also, thank you to the rest of the class. I thought everyone did a bang up job of keeping it relevant and on task.

You’re welcome, and thank you and all the people who showed up to help.
FYI - The second session will be this Wednesday @ 7 PM, and the third will be Saturday the 11th @ 1pm. I think Wednesday will consist entirely of lathe work, finishing off the flywheel. The next session will likely consist of mill work on the base casting. But of course, it’s fluid.

1 Like

Nice turn out for the first two classes, and we have had a number of people who have never cut metal before do so.

6 Likes

The 4th session will be on 7/29 @ 7PM, and the 5th on 8/1 @ 1PM. They should be on the calendar soon.

FYI - It is not necessary to have attended any of the previous sessions.

Hey guys, I heard from Lisa that you all might like to get some (or all?) of the parts for your second steam engine kit 3d scanned, in case you need replicas made or want to try building a bigger engine. I need parts to test with–been having much success with smallish sculptural parts but would like to try larger and/or more mechanical parts that would have need of the scanner’s CAD tools. Would anyone mind if I borrowed some parts to try that out? If so, where do you all keep the kits? I’ll likely be out either tonight or tomorrow (or both?) to work on these and maybe something even larger if I can find DM’s tripod.

@JohnK

I believe this is for you! Your the one who was interested in scanning the steam engine castings.

I’ll be there tonight @ 6, I can show you the kit.