Machine Shop Project

The Machine Shop committee has purchased a model steam engine kit as a group project. We plan on having scheduled sessions where interested members can machine parts or watch them being machined. How many people would be interested in participating in this?

5 Likes

Im in ive always wanted to do a live steam engine

1 Like

I will attend if at all possible!

I’ve love to observe if I can make it!

1 Like

Interested!
Not sure on the time thing, but I’ll be there for anything I can, even if that’s just observation…

Interested. Weekday nights work best, but I’ll do my best to attend on the weekend if that’s the schedule

I am interested. I am interested.

I was looking at miniature engines on youtube and wondering how challenging it would be to build one. I’d definitely like to observe the build.

Wish that instead of Inches it was Feet we where dealing with. Just Imagine:

Half a foot of cylinder circumference. 3/4 stroke! That is some potentially SERIOUS power output! AND if we brought our Junk Mail to be processed into PaperLogs for fuel, we could reduce the electric bill to Zero at DMS. AND DMS would have a dry steam line available for other equipment like the naval yards up north. A steam Line, that would be Awesome! I digress.

I would be interested in participating when ever I would be around. Time keeps getting more and more limited…

Also, since this is going to be an ongoing thing, it might be a good idea to get some video documentation every step of the way; maybe youtube it for those of us who will inevitably pop in and out of the project to keep tabs on it, and not be so lost when rejoining.

…X…

1 Like

I’m interested in seeing it go together.

I’d be interested in helping.

1 Like

Now that’s what I want to see. People who are willing to cut some metal! @bgangwere , correct me if I am wrong, but the idea behind this project is for those without much experience using the machine shop to actually cut some metal with the assistance/guidance of the more experienced members.

Yes. Though I think that probably encompasses the majority of the membership (including me). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I’m willing to help out if it fits into my schedule but I have literally 0 experience machining metal aside from drilling through it on a drill press. Lots of experience with woodworking, but I’ve not messed with metal much in the past (someday I’ll learn welding though, someday…).

1 Like

I’d love to participate in a project like this, schedule allowing!

I’d like to build one of these:

http://www.oldstylelisters.com/

But that requires casting iron… unless it could be made with an aluminum block! :smile:

Most anything that uses cast iron for things like this can be made from aluminum, if you machine steel liners. For instance most engines seem to have gone to aluminum engine blocks, but the cylinders are lined with steel. So that is very doable.

I think flywheels are the exception. The mass is a critical component.

1 Like

Yes, but you can usually sibstitute brass or bronze for those, and we can cast both of those materials as well. And the flywheels in those two metals look better IMO.

1 Like

Any news on this group build?