Machine Shop Newbie

I have just joined and want to learn how to use the equipment in the machine shop. I am working my way through the training material. Meanwhile, if anyone is going to be working and doesn’t mind an observer who might ask a few questions please let me know. I have a flexible schedule and can meet there most days.

Thanks in advance.

Watch the calendar for my Sherline class . It is a good intro to the machine shop via the small machines .

3 Likes

I will. Thanks!

The class is posted and spaces are available.

1 Like

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/18614

It doesn’t seem to be working. Hangs trying to load…

If you miss the sign up, come anyway. I will fit you in.

when is it?

Sunday 9/10 at 2pm

OK. the calendar server appears to be down. can’t get to anything right now. I’ll put it on my calendar here to come. I was in the shop today looking at everything to get familiar with it. Can’t wait to get started!

9/11 not 9/10. Sunday

Got it on my calendar. I’ll keep trying to get the DMS calendar to load. I keep getting a message saying it is offline

I just saw it on the discord. That says Saturday…

When Sat Sep 10 2pm — 4pm Central Where Workshop - Machine Shop Details Safety and operation of the manual Sherline Micro Lathe and Milling Machine Host Kevin Oliver Cost $0.00 More Info and RSVP » This is the basic training and checkoff class to allow access and use of the Sherline Lathe and Milling machine. We will discuss safety, setup, material selection and basic operation of both tools, as well as an exploration of the limits of the tools. We will also have a brief orientation to the machine shop and a safety briefing for the machine shop in general. You can get a head start by reviewing the Sherline materials in the machine shop committee area.

Dang. I was hitting refresh trying to get the calendar back. As soon as it popped up, all the class spots were gone.

Come anyway. I will make room for one more. And yes it is saturday 9/10

1 Like

One space available as I type this. Maybe somebody jumped and then realized that they had to cancel??

Hi Keoliver, I just joined the space and would also be interested in attending your class. As the event is now full, would it be possible for me to attend as well, or perhaps have a second session at a later date? :slight_smile:

I already have 6 attendees and one extra and there is not much room around the machines. I almost always have no shows on free classes . You can come but I can’t promise a good view … also I try to do these 2x a month if I can .

1 Like

Ahh, no worries! I’ll be there, and if it’s too crowded I’ll check out the next one. Thanks fam.

1 Like