Machine Shop Layout Ideas

Any reason not to keep it? Too underpowered? (Thinking that two would sometimes be useful to prevent backlog)

@Photomancer 's plan is looking good, got more of the hardware bins moved along the wall, more useable space is appearing

I have been putting unknown parts on two pallets in the corner of machine shop, will need help from others to go through it to see if its something we will be able to use in the near future or if we can sell / get rid of the pile.

It’s pretty surprising how much room seems to be opening up.

Parking the forklift in logistics floorspace until it sells helps…

@SewingStuff has started sorting our lifetime supply of half inch endmills

2 Likes

Wow! This is fantastic! Mucho thanks to you and everyone who is helping!!

@SewingStuff has done a great job on the initial sort of our thousands of mill cutters. First go through is 2, 3, 4 flute of ones below 1/2" collet or obvious round corner, roughing cutter, ball nose etc. She’s down to the the last box. If you look in the cabinet behind the Bridgeport lower shelf you’ll see the blue bins.

3 Likes

Wow, I know how much fun sorting those was…I have the other ~1000lbs of milling bits from Fred’s, all sorted by flute count, and yeah, that took a couple of days. Speaking of which, if you need to 5/8, 3/4, 1" and some larger mills, just let me know what is needed, as I “might” have a “few” extra, hehe.
I do have some 1/2" but not much in the way of smaller cutters.

1 Like

What can we do with the 3 full 55 gallon drums that presumably have spent coolant? Storing them forever in machine shop floorspace is less than ideal (could have a workbench or another tool instead)

Does anyone know of a service that would take them away and how we could get a quote for that? Would it be cheaper to rent another storage unit offsite for 150/month to store them there? @Team_Logistics

There are two sources of material for whats in those barrels:

1. Parts Washer - used waste fluid
  2. HAAS cutting and coolant

The first one I and many other members were under the impression that the $385mo/$4,620 a year we are paying for the parts washer includes fluid disposal. Apparently it does not according to some folks that talked to Bryan and called the company. We need to review the contract. If it does not we should get rid it of it. We will have to pay to dispose of waste, which won’t be cheap. If we want one, we can buy one. and still have the waste disposal cost.

The HAAS waste we need to locate a disposal company that we can take it to. We need a drum handling dolly - these drums weight up to 500+ lbs. so we can move them around onto a truck to take them to get rid of the material.

Storing offsite gets us nothing. Also storage agreements ban the storage of toxic or hazardous waste, which these are classified as, so that option is out.

Safety Kleen handles a lot of on-site waste. They may have a set fee to pick up and dispose of the waste.

Can we mix it with kitty litter and dispose of it as solid waste?

Is it flammable? Wait until its dark and then drag it out back in a metal can and light it up. No more hazardous waste!

I wonder if this will be deemed an “incendiary” comment by some…

Good points, I added an agenda item to next board meeting to terminate parts washer contract. I asked Gangwere and he said the SDS sheet should be in the folder that I think is on the blue workbench in the middle of machine shop.

1 Like

Please don’t dispose of coolant in the dumpster. I can look into authorized disposal sites or recycling options if that would be helpful.

1 Like

No. We are not going to do any illegal dumping or disposal.:scream: I know it is tempting, be strong … fight those evil temptations!

2 Likes

That’s what the toilet is for.

(I KID!!!)

Lol. One cup at a time.

Not actually being serious.

After walking through the machine shop today - Wow! The new layout really seems spacious. Thanks, everyone, for all the hard work.

But to echo Zach’s question … there seems to be enough space for both lathes. Can we keep them both?

Also, the Bridgeport seems mighty close to the Hatcher’s door. I may be the only person who can actually work in that amount of space. And if someone opens the Hatcher’s door that will be really close to the Bridgeport. I imagine it’s too late to move it (since I’m sure it’s real darn heavy) but is there any reason the Bridgeport couldn’t be another foot or two back from where it is now?

I have to think about the walking path to get from the Bridgeport to the table / tool boxes that are shared with the Haas. None of those are convenient to the Bridgeport anymore - only to the Haas.

1 Like

Please prove that we can’t turn it into solid waste and dumpster it. I suspect the coolant is practically non-toxic, but the biocide added to it may be the deciding factor. Consider latex paints: normal trash will not pick these up in liquid state. However, dry them out into a solid block and off it goes.

If we don’t have to spend more money to get rid of it, I’m all for it.

I would be impressed if you got enough fill to absorb ~1,300 pounds of liquid and then managed to get it in the dumpster without a front end loader.

Could someone call DFW Waste Oil Service?