Machine Shop Classes This Month

Will there be a class for the lathe this month or in May?

I just checked the class queue - I see none for the rest of April. I would expect some in in May.

You need to do the self study portion of the lathe class. I saw it just the other day. I will see if I can find it.

It was listed for yesterday 4/22 at 12:00 am. It is visible only in the calendar view. It says registration is closed but that shouldn’t be an issue. Follow the link to the course content.

One upgrade I’ve asked for a is “Self-Study” Category in the drop-down. This would provide a link to wiki page with the courses listed and then you pick course and it takes you to that, where ever they are kept.

This would be just a method of finding the courses. I’m improvements could be made - FWIW.

1 Like

LeRence,

The self study, Part I, has “dated out” on the events calendar. I will post it again with another place holder date to get it on the events calendar. One day the the prominent pull down on the events page that David alluded to above will alleviate this issue.

I will also schedule a machine side, Part II, Lathe class or two for early May. Later in the month a machine side, Part II, Bridgeport class.

Regards,

Bob

4 Likes

Ok, sounds good.

I am having trouble finding the “Self-Study” portions of these classes. I cannot find them listed on the calendar. I would appreciate any help navigating these. Thanks fellas!

Go to the calendar, and click on Calendar view. That’s the only way you can see the past events - list view won’t show those. While you’re there, search the page for the word Clausing. It will give you a hit on 4/23. That will link to this:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/11274

On the RHS of the page just above the yellow block it will give you the path to the self-study material, which is located on the committee drive on the Jump server.

You can access the committee drive remotely using your DMS login (not your Talk login) and Microsoft Remote Desktop. The wiki has instructions on how to do that.

If you have a Mac, there is a little more information at this Talk post, specifically post 8 from Tim:

1 Like

Bob - I’ve added the jump server pointer to the Machine Shop wiki, in the Clausing-Colchester section.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Machine_Shop#CLAUSING-Colchester_13.22_Lathe

There is a pointer to this in the training section.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Chris. This helps a lot!

1 Like

I see that @BobKarnaugh has posted the machine-side portion of the lathe class for this coming Saturday, 5/4.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/11918

You have to take the self-study portion first, but as of this time only one person has signed up for the machine-side portion.

Chris,

Thanks for adding the pointer in the Wiki. I used to be able to put a pointer right in the event page using “attach” but it doesn’t seem to work any more. Yesterday Freddy and I tried a different approach. Copy the self study file from the committee drive and embed it in a new Wiki page that he created. I was not able to cause a workable hyperlink from the fillable space of the event page; probably those space just don’t support actionable commands.

Having the self study content in wiki pages will be useful when there is a self study pull down menu on the main event calendar. Then the hyperlink can be written there as a permanent access point and the MS committee can edit the source file as needed in wiki.

Regards,

Bob