Looking to hire on-site welder

I’m working on an art project to turn an old basketball pole into a flower. I need to weld two large steel “leaves” to the pole. I would be happy to hire someone to do this part for me. I need two triangles of steel, roughly 6 feet long and 6 inches at the base. I’d like the edges to be smoothed a bit so no one will get cut from touching it. These need to be welded to the pole on location in Denton. It’s a residential home, so I’m not sure if it has 220. I would count on 110 only. I may also need help removing some old rusted bolts. I haven’t tried to remove them, but I am pretty sure they’ll need to be cut off.

Also, the pole is old and rusty (but not corroded). Do I need to grind it down before coating in in a rust-preventative primer?

Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested in this project.

You’ll need to grind the pole smooth before it can be welded. Rust is the enemy of a good solid weld. Plus, if you just paint over the rust, it may continue to spread under your paint.

@zacharymarkson – is this something you’d do?

That sounds a little out of my skill range

1 Like

Not sure. You can kinda see he opening at the end of this bit. That should give a better idea. It’s got a 13" circumference.