Looking to buy a new Lapop - recommedations?

Hi all,

It’s time to ditch my old laptop and upgrade to something newer.

Any recommendations?

I’m a Solidworks (3D), AutoCad (2D), Fuzion sometimes user.
I won’t be desiging a Space Shuttle, but maybe a hexapod or tunneling rescue robot.

I also plan to do some video editing, V-Carve, and CAM (MasterCam).

Some programming…stretch goal of AI / Machine Learning.

I do want to be able to connect to 2 larger monitors and a wireless mouse & keyboard.

Also prefer something rugged that I can throw in the trunk and not worry about it breaking. I heard some laptops scratch easily - not good for me. Water resistance - a plus.

Price range: … $1600 or less?

I would look at used mobile workstations from Dell, HP, Lenovo. Anything new in that price range won’t tick all of your boxes.

1 Like

Personally, I would start at Microcenter.
Yes, I say that a lot, but it’s actually a really good starting point and you can put your hands on what you’re looking at instead of just shopping online.

I currently have a Asus Tuff Gaming laptop fron 2019 that has a Ryzen 5 processor 24gb ram, 512 SSD, 2TB storage, 1660ti graphics and I frequently use CorelCad, Fusion 360, Aspire (Vectric’s full suite including V-Carve pro) the full Adobe Suite, Handbrake (video editing and encoding), Microsoft Office Suite, Ultimaker Cura, CorelDraw, Sketchup Pro, Blender, Solidworks, Inkscape, Sawgrass Print Manager, Sheetcam, Chief Architect Premier and Minecraft (the only game I care to play).
I haven’t had a single problem running any of the programs or rendering issues to date.
And further by that point, I have used that laptop connected directly to my fdm 3D printer to run a print using Cura, while running Photoshop, V-Carve and Blender simultaneously and didn’t have any rendering issues nor did I have any issues with Cura driving the fdm printer.

I bought that entire package (Laptop, 16gb ram chip, 2tb internal drive, Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo and MobileEdge padded laptop bag) at Microcenter for under $1200.

That being said, my particular laptop will only run One external monitor through an HDMI cable.

The newer ones might have dual HDMI outs, I don’t know I haven’t looked because I don’t need a new one as of yet but the newer ones will definitely have upgraded specs so any decently packaged gaming laptop should more than adequately run any of the programs you listed.

I have a 17" MSI Raider that I have really enjoyed.

I bought mine from Costco Christmas 2021, they had it at a barn burner $1099 new! that was about $900 below MSRP at the time. Either way, I’d suggest taking a walk through Costco. Because they sometimes run BIG sales prices they can’t advertise in the tech area. I also got a Sonos Arc with Sub for $400 below the price point I had seen it anywhere else at Costco as well. Those two purchases alone made that membership worth while.

Good luck finding your next computer.

Thanks @MadScists, I like the idea of putting my hands on a machine before I buy it.

1 Like

Thanks @Nick, I can’t wait for Christmas to roll around, but I’ll definitely go and check what they have now!

I’d second the recommendation for Microcenter. They usually have some pretty good deals, especially if you don’t mind open box, which can get you an extra discount. Even if you don’t buy anything there, it’s good for seeing what options you have.

For durable laptops, I think the only option you have outside of full on rugged laptops is a semi-rugged laptop like the Acer Enduro series, but I don’t know if the specs on those will meet your needs, since it uses integrated graphics. Might be better to go for a good laptop hard case with padding/water resistance.

1 Like

I’d take a look at MSI’s gaming laptops. I bought mine in 2019, pretty happy with it, with exception of the trackpad. Not too crazy about the lights either. But it has a dedicated decent graphics card.

3 Likes

^^^ I’d also second this if buying new is out of the budget ^^^

MicroCenter also carries the Lenovo Legion line of laptops. This is Lenovo’s version of the MSI Raider also a nice laptop. I purchased an open box 15 inch one a MicroCenter in 2020 at a great discount and loved it. I wasn’t the only one that loved it, my mom loved it as well. As she borrowed and bought it from me when she refused to give it back. Thus, the MSI Raider purchase from Costco a year later.

Another thing to point out with these laptops, if you like to hold your laptop while using it. They both have the screen hinge moved forward, so you have a bumper shaped area to hold with your hand. This is something I do all the time, even with the more beastly 17" MSI. Before buying the Legion, I hadn’t thought it an important feature. But, now it is a requirement for my laptop purchases. Also, the Legion’s implementation of this is ever so slightly nicer than the MSI.

No relation to the seller. Just came across it while looking out of curiosity.

1 Like