Looking for welding and cutting "coach"

I promised my son we would learn how to weld together this summer. However, I understand that metal working and welding classes have temporarily been put on hold. My teenage son and I would like to build a go kart together over the next couple months using plans from https://kartfab.com/go-kart-plans

We’re looking for someone to teach us how to MIG weld at the Maker Space or at their home/shop. I’m pretty handy with tools having rebuilt engines and remodeled several houses but would need a safety/training class in using a chop saw or band saw for cutting 1" square tubing as well.

Since I’m not yet certified or officially in any of these tools at the maker space, I would be open to working something out with someone to help us 1:1 with the cutting and welding (they do the work and teach us at the same time). For now, we just need to make the basic frame. My son and I can build most of the kart from there.

Please contact me directly and we can figure out if there are additional costs/fees/permissions to do this so we stay up and up with Maker Space.

We could really use some help. My son is a true maker and his skills are insanely good for his age, but this is the next level for both of us…

Thanks for your feedback.

Jason Ford

Click to expand this mod edit of TN to reduce Google indexability

ate32-36sevn-7368 m

2 Likes

I’d love to help you out, it sounds like a fun project and I really enjoy helping small groups of people who really want to learn, but I just can’t in good conscience go out and about until the hospitals have beds again.

While there’s a mask between us, the 6 ft rule would be real hard to teach around. I can’t see your weld puddle from 6 ft, and I can’t literally hold your hand to show you proper technique until I can get close to you.

1 Like

Understood. No worries.

1 Like

This sounds helpful even if we get a Coach. Much appreciated