Looking for help with Quilt Project

I am looking for (maybe monetarily compensated) assistance finishing a quilt project. I’ve completed all of the squares but need some help finishing it up

If anyone has experience and would like to help text me at 2149522451

Thank you!!

@John_Marlow @dryad2b are my 2 known quilters. I’m sure there are more out there!

I’m not a quilter, but my, grandmother and mother-in-law was. I helped some and have hand cut pieces from my grandma, I would love to get made. DSM has the basic hand cutters, tools, and sewing machines. What stage is your quilt?

It’s in the - need to create the backing & quilt together - stage

I found some help from this thread so all good now - thank y’all !

1 Like

You probably don’t need this info, but I’m going to add a couple things here.

1. Quilt batting. This link is a good resource to help you choose. Your batting should be a few inches larger than your top or bottom because it gets pulled up a little as you quilt.

2. Preparing to sew. Tape your backing down on the floor (face down), pulled taut. Lay your batting down on top of it, and then your top on top of that. They make special curved safety pins that you can use to pin all the layers together so they don’t shift while you’re stitching. Be generous with the pins!

3. Sewing (i.e., quilting the sandwich). I’m assuming you’re going to use your “domestic”/AKA home sewing machine?
    (a) If your quilt is lap sized, twin-sized, or smaller, you should be able to do this on your home machine. Anything larger and you will need a machine with a deep throat.
    (b) If you’re planning to stitch something geometric, straight lines, etc. then I would recommend you get a walking foot for your machine.
    © If you plan to “free motion quilt” it, then you should get a spring-loaded free motion foot.
    (d) Start your stitching in the center of the quilt if you can. Periodically you will need to lay it on the floor, remove some pins, smooth it out and adjust any puckers.

It’s an addicting hobby. Hope you have fun with it.

3 Likes

Thank you!
Jeez this is all so helpful
Starting from the center makes so much sense
I’ve seen those pins in tutorials but never used them - will pick some up!

Question- do you know where I could find a long arm sewing machine to finish my quilt with? It’s a bit bigger than a twin size cover and last quilt I did with my home sewing machine was a pain to scrunch up

Re long arm sewing machine access

(could be old info but worth checking)
Quilt Country store in Lewisville (near I35 and Fox) used to offer service to quilt whatever design for you (for a fee, just give them your pile of top/bottom, specify batting, etc). I want to say that if you take their long-arm machine class, you can use their equipment and do it yourself (maybe a small fee?).

I’m betting many quilting stores with a machine will do it for you. For a fee, but nice job. There used to be a quilt store in the old downtown Carrollton square, near Dms.

And then there’s always doing it by hand on a roller frame. It’s not that complicated or expensive to cobble together. Space can be an issue, which is why there were interesting solutions our grandmothers used (rope/pulley, ceiling when not in use was one solution)

1 Like