Looking for cheap or free hardwood

Is this bin that is next to the clamps tables with the wood hole

That’s correct. I gave you the beech yesterday, so I don’t have anymore left, though.

I have a box full of different wood collected over the years. Most of it was cut from hardwood trees of friends or found on the curb and then dried. The wood includes small pieces and a couple of 1 ft pieces, too. The species include: sycamore, pecan, walnut, cedar, red bud, photinia, yaupon holly, aspen, elm, hackberry and bodark. I often make pen blanks, bottle stopper blanks, perfume keepers, screw driver handles etc from them. All have been drying for a while, but some like the red bud had worms when I cut it. (That is the reason my red bud tree died.) NONE of them are exhibition grade cutoffs.

They have been collecting dust for years and I’m just going to unload them. If you want any of them I’ll put them on the freebie shelf the next time I’m at DMS. I’m not going to make a special trip.

1 Like

Capt and I would be happy to paw through your collection.

I put an entire bankers box of wood “scrap”, cutoffs, pen blank collection, various wood in different shapes and sizes on the freebie/donation shelf tonight. Take the all or just a few. Some are marked and some are not.

They were just collecting dust in the garage at home. There will likely be more as I clean up, but who knows when they will show up at DMS. Cleaning up/out the garage is just one of those projects that only gets done when I can spare an afternoon, etc.

Show me a maker who cannot relate to not having enough room to store everything they collect and I’ll show you someone who’s just not admitting they have too much collected. Thankfully, the freebie shelf is an outlet for letting go of your treasures or at least your surplus stuff.

3 Likes

Please no, furniture tolerances are somewhere in the 1/32th of an inch as a bar for “perfect” which really does require these machines to stay dialed in properly! If it’s worth the effort to joint it and plane it it’s worth the money to purchase it in a rough lumber state!
Please no used wood through the “big 5” jointer planer drum sander 18” bandsaw and saw stop! When dialed in all of those machine are capable of producing incredible results and incredible pieces, and as mentioned above our wand won’t catch every piece of metal! And that fact there are some people who won’t know what Im talking about when I say “wand” is the scary part

Technically small particle dust from pressure treated could be considered a hazardous material so it could fall under that umbrella of rules of not allowed in the space! Cause from what I understand it’s presence in the space isn’t banned must any “working” with the material is cutting sawing sanding scraping etc