Looking for cheap or free hardwood

yea, its foam core basically.

I love them for that but their website is always super slow. Someone needs to overhaul that thing.

Ahhh, the tug of war between efficient & effective! Some day in the future you might discover that the best websites are slow enough that you have time to leisurely go get a beer.

Several years ago we received a large palletized object from overseas (not Europe). The pallet/crate were teak. Yep. Honest to God teak. I sure wish we had thought to reclaim that wood. I would have diligently removed everything metal just to keep the wood.

2 Likes

Not nearly as slow as trying to get a hold of and pester a lumber yard to give you the prices on all of their materials.

The only reference that I’m seeing to “pressure treated” on Source is in the list of woodshop banned materials. The wiki makes reference to Shapeoko 2 prohibiting it:

• No toxic materials, such as carbon fiber or pressure treated wood.

The 2020-07-12 meeting posits various material prohibitions as a reminder:

• Do not use Southern Yellow Pine in Jointer or planer
  • No pressure treated lumber allowed in woodshop
  • No reclaimed lumber on anything with blades

Did I miss something?

Here is official list per rules passed by woodshop Committee:
Banned Materials:

Pressure treated lumber: Do not cut, sand, or work on pressure treated wood.

No Yellow Pine and any wood with visible sap in the woodshop. See sign next to Laguna bandsaw for more details A bit of the discussion surrounding this can be read here. (20180815 Woodshop Meeting - Pine ban discussion)

Reclaimed wood: Do not cut or sand reclaimed wood (pallets, barn wood, etc) using free-standing power tools.

No wood concrete forms allowed

No pallet wood in woodshop

Wood with dirt or sand on the surface (brush off or power wash dirt and sand). Dirt and sand will dull blades very quickly.

No metal may be cut in the woodshop.

No plastic may be cut in the woodshop except:

Minimal machining of acrylic pen blanks

Cutting sheet plastic to size on a table saw if using a plastic-specific blade you provide.

For complete rules and any additional banned material by machine see the official rules at (also paper copy above the miter saw).

2 Likes

To be clear - the above list is for shop wide bans. Individual machines have additional bans (like no plywood through the planer). See above link to rules for complete list.

Not sure if you’re responding to my post.

Woodshop rules are clear. My question was the statement that there’s a facility-wide prohibition on treated lumber, which I was unable to locate.

Hello members

I’m looking for free hardwood scraps or cutoffs.

Thank you
Donald
469-705-9295

1 Like

If you’re up at DMS, then check the trash cans regularly. Many people throw out their scraps and/or cutoffs. Once it’s in the trash can, it’s available.

1 Like

This thread might also be useful to you

Ummm… he’s the OP on both posts. This one is a duplicate.

1 Like

Hoist upon mine own petard!

2 Likes

I always thought a petard was some kind ofmast, pr plank. Decided to look it up and “surprise”…

noun

HISTORICAL

1. a small bomb made of a metal or wooden box filled with powder, used to blast down a door or to make a hole in a wall.
  • a kind of firework that explodes with a sharp report.

Learned another thing.

1 Like

Here’s the actual meaning. It is Shakespearean:

Where does the phrase hoist with one’s own petard come from?

Aside from historical references to siege warfare, and occasional contemporary references to fireworks, petard is almost always encountered in variations of the phrase “hoist with one’s own petard,” meaning “victimized or hurt by one’s own scheme.” The phrase comes from William Shakespeare’s Hamlet: “For 'tis the sport to have the enginer / Hoist with his own petar.” Hoist in this case is the past participle of the verb hoise, meaning “to lift or raise,” and petar(d) refers to an explosive device used in siege warfare. Hamlet uses the example of the engineer (the person who sets the explosive device) being blown into the air by his own device as a metaphor for those who schemed against him being undone by their own schemes. The phrase has endured, even if its literal meaning has largely been forgotten.
:

3 Likes

Or, in the words of Bill Murray in the movie Stripes:

“Blowed up, Sir!”

1 Like

I’ll bring some next week and leave it in the woodshop (where its usually placed).

I dropped off some leftover european beech in the free hardwood bin earlier today. I might drop off another board tomorrow.

1 Like

I thought for sure it was a reference to Wile E. Coyote.