Looking for beginner level soldering resources

Hello,

I have realized that my poor soldering skills are a big gate holding me back from my project goals in electronics. I am interested in finding resources for learning and building my skill in this area. Links to anything from recommended online tutorials to beginner friendly kits that emphasize progressive soldering learning would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex “Context” Head

You might sign up for this “class”. It’s Office Hours, so it should be for all things electronic.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/19359

2 Likes

I’ll try and bring some test coupons Thursday for office hours. Bring some of your projects/problem children and we’ll see what we can do.

2 Likes

This is what I do:

• make sure the iron is hot
  • tin the iron if necessary. It should be coated with a thin layer of solder
  • heat the joint for a couple of seconds
  • touch the solder to the joint, not the iron
  • continue to apply heat for about a second
  • the parts should not move until the joint cools
  • the joint should be shiny after it cools. Dull solder means a poor joint - heat it again

Practice on spare wires until you gain confidence.

2 Likes

I can do a soldering for hobbyists if there is sufficient need.

Or just come to office hours for coaching - and bring your own tools so I can make sure you can work with what you have.

If you come to office hours bring your own tools so I can make sure you can work with what you have.

Just don’t do it this way.

5 Likes

ELab has old junk pcb brds to practice on. Check the wire shelves at the far end of the center island.

2 Likes

Hey Context,
Your asking a bigger question than you are likely considering. There are many kinds of soldering, and there is no general single answer to what you need to do.

Most soldering guides are for through hole or wire to wire soldering with large components. But, with today’s projects, PCBs and Components, we are seeing less and less of that kind of soldering. With far more need for fine component soldering, reflow techniques, and temperature sensitive components. So you may find a better answer if you describe some of the projects you have attempted and the failing you have run into.

Also, flux has gotten a lot better and is your friend in soldering. If you can clean your project with alcohol, use flux liberally. It will make most all projects easier.

1 Like

No need to sign up. Just show up. Next planned office hours are the 14th at 6 PM til 8 or so.

Best you bring your project and your tools & soldering iron so we get right to what you need as quickly as practical.