Looking for 4K Screen For LabVIEW Class

@tmc4242

I wanted to say thanks for pointing that out about display processing. You were absolutely correct. My cheapie display uses cheap processing for its smart TV functions.

However, there is a huge silver lining to that cloud in that you can bypass the smart tv options altogether with game mode on my Hisense. Since I drive the display using HDMI from PC, all bits pass straight through in 444, so there is no loss. And while I cannot use TV smart functions, its a small loss considering that I can just use my PC to do any of the smart functions available in TV and oh so many, many more.

Now that I fixed this, the display is as vibrant and vivid as any I have ever seen. As I think that the displays themselves come from a given manufacturer that supplies all of the TV makers, I think that were you to purchase Samsung 49.5 4k, you would get the same as what I have here. And were you to go 1:1 with Samsung, you would have identical image quality as what I have here.

Moral of the story, donā€™t hesitate! Buy now, and cheap! Go ahead, the TV is OK, for Hisense anyhow. And the way you can tell if it will be OK or not is if there is a 1 second or so blanking of the screen when switching from another mode to game mode, or from game mode to another. This tells you that the internal FPGA or ASIC is rerouting to bypass processing path, or vice versa.

$330+tax= 50" awesomeness!! Thanks again, because that change made all the difference in my picture quality!

1 Like

Here is a better shot of pass thru 1:1 HDMI (TV Game mode)ā€¦

Maybe I am overexcited about the topic, but I made a video that shows the transformation from artifact laden display to cleaned up display due to chroma losses. Iā€™ll go ahead and post the video now, although it may be some time before the 4k version is up on youtube. For now, best you can get is 1440p, so you may be able to see the improvement as I used the zoom lens in the Nikon B700 to blow the image up considerably.

Check it out, oh, and use your 4k if you have it, because this video supports that resolution.

OK, I have had to eat a lot of words since I started fiddling with 4k. I suppose that I have a tendency to oversimplify things in my mind, until I have knowledge that the situation is more complex.

Here are things about 4k screens that I did not know but ultimately learned as a result of purchasing the cheap 4k TV. And it turns out, I didnā€™t do all that bad. This particular 4k is actually pretty good for PC montior or television.

But let me enumerate my surprise findings:
*There are many different types of LEDs used in displays and they come at an array of costs. Technology maturity often dictates the pricing more than quality, and there often is a good choice that has been developed further, and is cheaper. Try to go there if you can. I was unable to discover the exact LED technology used in my TV. It seems Hisense does not want to publish this data.
*Edge lit vs backlit- backlit is usually better, particularly if you can find the style that lights up areas regionally. Supposedly the Hisense does this.
*You can have colorspace conversion losses in the color tuning circuit in back of TV. You can also have them over HDMI, or across any other circuit that resides between the image 2D array at the source, and the pixels themselves.
*Just because your TV can support 4k does not mean that the ā€˜smart tvā€™ functions are capable of such. Most cable broadcast is full HD or less, and my Hisense wonā€™t do youtube in 4k. For that, I have to HDMI my signal into the TV from computer.
*HD video shot and transmitted in 4k will look much clearer, even when displayed in HD. This is because colorspace conversion loss of 422 or 420 in 4k results in no loss in HD. The math just works out like that. So it should be possible to see an improvement when viewing 4k videos on your HD screen, depedending upon setup, of course. Try it. You tube has a nice dial to switch back and forth.
*8k video already? Some folks are already trying to go hereā€¦

1 Like