Look for help with learning MIG

Good Day,

I am looking to learn how to do mig wielding, with a Lincoln 90i. Any suggestions, I also have an angle grinder, and auto tint mask. I do need to get Ar/CO2.

Cap

If you bring it by before the metal shop meeting, or after, I would love to give the machine a try. We can hook up the existing 25% CO2 line since the fittings look the same for your machine, cut the welds, and check penetration levels of the welds to find ideal settings.

What wire spool do you have in the machine?

1 Like

Take the hot process safety class on learn.dallasmakerspace.org
That is prereq for welding.
Thanks
Randy

1 Like

The issue i have is that i as of current not a member of dallas makerspace but i am at the labsms.

It is my understanding that lincoln innershield “NR-211-MP-RSP”. Does not require gas shielding but clean like steels. that 180 can do aluminum. I am looking to keep my rig mine and mobile for future employment.

Um… Take one of their classes?

1 Like

If i became a member for 3 months would a number of tags from past classes still work?

Yes, all of them, in fact, as long as you make sure to use the same account that already exists and not create a new one.

1 Like

Mig welding aluminum is not an easy task. Additionally you need to weld aluminum with 100% argon.

Not saying it can’t be done, because I’ve done it. It’s very different than welding steel. The aluminum doesn’t push very well in a standard mig gun setup.

1 Like

Innershield is flux core welding. It doesn’t need gas because the flux melts and creates a sheilding gas. You need a longer arc length for flux welding. Normal mig welding you have the gun tip about 1/2 away at the most . For flux core you want like 1 inch of length between the tip and the workpiece. It’s also really smoky like stick welding. It will irritate your eyes and lungs without proper ventilation. A good note is that it is easier for outdoor applications because the wind doesn’t blow the gas away as easily and smoke isn’t an issue

1 Like

If your 90i has a gas port on the back get shielding gas. Fluxcore is great outdoors in wind but has more spatter and its really smoky. I still have a few rolls of fluxcore from about 15 years ago before I got shielding gas. Saving it in case I had to weld in the wind but have not needed it yet. Fluxcore wire is bigger diameter than regular mig so make sure you have the correct size tips for your wire.

1 Like