Longtime members helping new members

A gentleman visited from Wichita a couple weeks ago and I showed him around the space; he told me that when a new member joined they did not give them a key right away. Their new members have to get 6 current members( including 2 board members) to sign off on 20 minutes of conversation getting to know them.

I thought that was absolutely brilliant and although I know its impossible for us to try this at our state of growth, I would like to try a buddy system/mentoring idea I have.

Inspired by my conversation with the maker from Wichita, I would like longtime members to buddy up with a new member. All I am asking of you is 20 minutes of your time and to let the new member have your contact information. You can help new folks find there way and guide them on our culture and those gray areas we have unspoken rules. You can direct them to other makers who share similar interests. If you are interested comment below and Iā€™ll add you to my growing list.

I remember when I joined a few years ago. I was in love with the space already but so overwhelmed that i didnt know where to startā€¦I would have been a huge help to have a contact buddy to answer my questions. DMS benefits by having less confusion on the part of new folks and easier integration as well as the simple ability to help new members become invested so as to add to our volunteer pool. Comment below if you want to be added to the list. Thank you guys!!

11 Likes

Kris,

Add me to the list!
Iā€™m not there all the time, but when I am, I donā€™t mind helping 99% of the time I am there.

2 Likes

As someone whoā€™s been a member for six months, this is an idea that I think would be very much appreciated by most incoming ā€˜newbiesā€™.

It would also have the added benefit of helping inject new ideas and ways of thinking into the more tenured member base (which is always a good thing).

Heck I still need to figure out what the jump server is and how to use it, and other technical infrastructure protocols. Iā€™m six months in, and I still do not know anything about approx. half the space (due to my focus on those things that I am learning currently).

4 Likes

Itā€™s my observation (unencumbered by fact) that people join to primarily use one specific tool or shop. The longer they are members, the more they diversify into other areas.

If we knew what specific area drew the member in, that might help find the right ā€œbuddyā€. For instance, Iā€™d be a lousy buddy for someone who has a lot of questions about automotive.

6 Likes

Chris,

I think you would be fine for automotive for a new member / buddy. You know the rules of the Space and what Automotive offers in general, and you know who to introduce the ā€œnewieā€ toā€¦ for more info etc.

I donā€™t think any ā€œone personā€ knows every thing that the space has to offer in exacting detail - that is as you say, take time to experience after joining and learning.

5 Likes

Iā€™m in. I donā€™t know much, but I can misdirect new people all day long.

6 Likes

Gonna be a downer, but what happens if, during the 20mins of convo someone realizes the potential new member is going to be detrimental to the space? Or should probably not be using dangerous tools? Or is mentally unstable to the point of being potentially dangerous?

This should be something that is considered, just in case it comes up. A plan to fall back on would be helpful in this situation.

5 Likes

ā€˜Detrimental to the spaceā€™ is subjective and likely not objectively measurable for taking action against. Same goes for ā€˜should not be using dangerous toolsā€™. I presume thatā€™s what the implemented prerequisite training courses are meant to address. ā€˜Mentally unstable (or even irresponsible) to the point of being dangerousā€™ is definitely concerning, and probably one of the reasons why Krisā€™ example given about having a quorum of existing membership oversee and then endorse any prospective new member is a really good idea IMO. I personally would like to see something like this considered. Iā€™ve had conversations with 1-2 other members where I left thinking ā€œthat person probably would benefit from medicationā€. But yes, I also realize that this is a difficult thing to implement and manage fairly and effectively.

2 Likes

Scott, are you a licensed medical professional ?

Iā€™m not picking on you in particular - but I am curious?

Iā€™m just speaking from experience, in the past we have had people join who in their short membership just came in and broke rules, ignored requests for following rules, made scary statements about ā€œpurifying the placeā€ and ā€œserving justiceā€

Turns out the Carrollton pd had already had multiple interactions with this troubled soul and knew him from the description we had to give when we had him removed after he got upset we asked him not to sleep in his vehicle in the auto bay.

I think it would be prudent to have a plan for when the people talking to new members have an inclination that something like this could happen again.

5 Likes

No, Iā€™m not a trained, licensed medical professional. I certainly have my fair share of family members who possess everything from (diagnosed) major depression to borderline personality disorder to generalized anxiety, so I have spent more than my fair share of time talking to psychiatric professionals over a period of years. Not that any of that matters in the context of this thread. Most everyone has made informal observations about individuals (outside the context of the Makerspace for example) that made them feel uncomfortable or concerned about the observed individualā€™s lucidity or behavior. My thinking to myself that someone could probably benefit from medication does not mean that Iā€™m advocating for a diagnosis or the dispensing of a medication. It merely means, some folks are concerning individuals, based on casual observation.

Take the many laymen who onserved and voiced concerns about the Florida school shooter. Behavioral Observation and subsequent interpretation has itā€™s place outside of the professional community as well.

I completely agreeā€¦

Peace & Scott

It would be nice to have a what I call a ā€œcommon senseā€ filter but how to go about implementing it is going to be the tough part.

Iā€™d say good luck with thatā€¦

4 Likes

I readily admitted in my original post that I did not see a clear path forward.

There is no filtering out a lack of common sense. I gave up on myself long ago.

3 Likes

If you are concerned then come talk to me or another board member. The chances of that happening are pretty small. No matter who you are, if you canā€™t follow the safety rules you wonā€™t be using the tools.

6 Likes

Weā€™ve talked off and on about having an orientation night for new members. Overall I think that would be a good practice but hard to implement due to the number of people signing up and scheduling classes.

I do however think this has a great online course potential. It could be basic Makerspace rules, practices, and etiquette needed to be excellent. Some specifics about putting things back where they belong or at least where you got it, cleaning up, leaving things like used fluids, batteries, personal storage, leaving work over night on tables for things like glue-ups, napping verses sleeping, refrigerator rules, teaching and honorarium (overview which a specific referenced course on the how to), our governance structure: BoD, Committees, SIGs, Member meetings. The importance of volunteering in some fashion. Signing in to WiFi, renewing payments for dues, reporting problems lots of basic.

Asking for help. In person, on forums, etc.

Course completion will release your badge to open doors. I donā€™t know that Iā€™d oppose it of all members having to complete within 3 months of implementing as a lot of our rules and practices have evolved.

Committees could have links if they wanted to add optional things. I think Machine Shop would probably do a short 5 minute video of what capabilities we have and our expectations regarding safety and clean-up.

Anyway, something to consider or throw away.

4 Likes

We used to have an orientation class for new membersā€¦I think that an orientation class could be a mandatory requirement before badge / door activation passed a trial period? (just my opinion-not worth much)

1 Like

I taught this class last year several times and it was well received. I have the outline still and it can still be taught but I have found that those who came in to the class were never an issue because they were motivated to learn all they could about DMS.

Our biggest problem for new members is the fact that we have many things expected of them when we are not always clear on communicating those things. A longtime member can help guide them one on one so if they are confused about something or have general questions then they can get direction or opinion. The longtime members are what shape this place so itā€™s a natural extension to have them helping out new folks.

3 Likes

It can still be offered as class or online. I think it would be well worth it.

2 Likes

How about a mix of both ?

Stan held the orientation class when I took it - very informative and to the point - back then tours were not as ā€œorganisedā€ as they are these days. My tour was still great thoā€¦how things have changed in 30 months!

Maybe require an in house orientation class within 30 days and only allow access to the front door? (yes I know there are way to circumvent access to the workshop).

Perhaps (continued brainstorming here) offer a schedule where the orientation classes fall on the same days/nights as a various committee meetings are help so that a newbie may interact with that committee after before / after orientation

Online classes would be fine for overall rules and regs but I think a physical body in the building would be better for a good orientation class.

1 Like