Live-Streaming Meetings

Here is what I have in mind:

• I set up a process for streaming and recording events like board meetings, or lecture-hall classes.
  • I teach it to you over skype or hangouts
  • You start volunteering your time and recording these meetings.
  • Members will now be able to stream membership meetings.

What you’ll need:

• Access to a performant laptop.
  • Access to a conference mic (See digital media)
  • Access to the internet
  • A web-cam
  • Free-time to get to board meetings and membership meetings.

Let me worry about:

• Getting you access to the right software
  • Teaching you step-by-step instructions to get this stream going.
  • Generating graphic assets for the stream
  • Setting up a general workflow for streaming.

Let me know if you’re interested in volunteering. If there is enough interest. I’ll throw out a time we can get together on discord and talk about this in person.

7 Likes

I’ve donated a i7 laptop with a 120GB SSD, 8GB RAM, USB 3.0, Win 10 Pro for Live Streaming.

Infrastructure has purchased 2 Logitech C920 webcams, and Digital Media has mics and stands.

What software do we need for YouTube Live Streaming?

5 Likes

We already have an OpenCast setup in the Lecture Hall. If we wish, we can duplicate it in the other classrooms.

Mark Havins @mrhavens is the person who can tell you about it.

Coul @Coul and Stan set up the streaming for the last BOD meeting and put it on YouTube.

1 Like

It was Coul and Julio (?) that set it up, I just helped load the camera drivers.

2 Likes

That would be @MrPink

1 Like

Are you back in town? :smiley:

Thanks for tossing in your hat to help improve our abilities to stream meetings, etc… :thumbsup:

We already have a few members with access to our YouTube account to stream meetings, and we have a group of members working on getting OpenCast working smoothly…

Do your plans incorporate either and/or both existing options? If not, what direction(s) are you thinking about?

Ultimately, we want the streamed meetings, etc… to be available for view on our YouTube channel. It would be great if it could be set-up to automatically upload to our channel; however, if it’s not automated, we would still want access to the saved video file(s) to be able to upload them after the fact.

It’s already up… :wink: :slight_smile:

I’ve been interested in learning a format vs software vs web app etc to allow me to do webinar type stuff. I mainly just want to learn so that I can do it if the need arises. I played around, tweaking google hangouts a bit but that seemed as though it needed a few work-arounds to do what I wanted and was not quite ready for prime time or professional use. The last thing you want is for your users to be frustrated with the interface.

I started to look at GoToMeeting as well.

Are you talking about something that would be proprietary to using at the DMS in terms of hardware, etc or something that one could use anywhere for any business application.

I would like, for ex, to be able to do the following:

Send notices to individuals by email about an upcoming lecture for ex.
Those individuals can register a reply as to whether they are interested and ‘reserve a spot’ - this might just be marketing but it would be good to know who replies or even responds to the initial email.
The individuals connect at the determined time for the lecture.
They have access to a couple of tools during the streamed lecture.
a chat window, global to all users and myself
a chat window directly to me ( to ask questions, for ex )
an evaluation tool for after the lecture
I, as the lecture host, need to be able to control one or more cameras (one is probably ok)
I, as the host, need to be able to invite other(s) planned speakers at other remote locations and I would want to be able to control the stream from either myself or the guest speaker.
I would want the guest and I to be able to have voice chat during the event for discussion of a topic.
I would want to be able to have the event recorded for future viewing.

There are tons of products out there and I’m sort of overwhelmed when I think about jumping into one of them. I would not mind paying a little for a decent product that can save me some headaches later in terms of either a learning curve or for providing features I want.

Once again, I played with Google’s product and it just did not seem to be the solution but perhaps it is improved now. I don’t have immediate application but would want to be ready when I have the need.

I primarily live in the Mac world but would do a virtual PC I suppose if I had to or a Linux virtual machine.

I think GoToMeeting will do most of this. It has been worth the cost for working remotely. It is actually better than live training IMHO.

1 Like

Perhaps we could use it for some DMS classes. Or at least give it a trial.