Little power hammer

$5k isn’t a bad price for this one. I know Joe Brown wanted one this size. @raceman1590 @coloneldan you guys might want to inquire about this one

1 Like

That would be cool to have.

Yeah that doesn’t seem like a bad idea. Local good price now we just need to know if we can handle it at the space! My vote is yes we just need to work out a couple things and that would be running quick! Have you chatted with the seller?

I have not contacted them. If I were you I would contact them. I have no dog in this hunt I was just letting you guys know. 25lbs is small. I wouldn’t be worried about the foundation provided that we buy a large rubber mat to limit the vibration and noise

1 Like

Keep in mind that it needs to go through the committee (documented votes approving) and through the BOD if it hasn’t been done yet. You could talk to the seller to see if they will wait for that, we have done that in the past.

1 Like

I’ll give you my 2 cents. All power hammers are hard on their foundations. They need to have the floor prepared for a power hammer. It depends upon their capacity and weight. Second, they are much more dangerous than a hydraulic press. When the hammer comes down you have no time to take any action to removed something from being hammer on. in a hydraulic press you at least have some time before the damage is done. A hydraulic press has a much slower rate of travel. Brookhaven College doesn’t allow power hammers or hydraulic presses because of this liability issue. They believe it is only a matter of time before someone gets severely hurt. Yes, I know you can get hurt by a lot of tools and hot steel, but a power hammer is very dangerous for someone who doesn’t know how to use it.

2 Likes

I was just providing information for your committee to vote on. Based on conversations I have had with the previous chair of your committee and his desires.

1 Like

I completely understand and I appreciate it.

1 Like

I think Max & myself would love to have the Express Finger Smasher 3000 ™

lol

5 Likes

Yeah yeah a power hammer would be great! I work with some in the shop I’m at now and it’s a foot level similar to the press that activates the hammer without that there is no movement. Yes there will be extensive training on it but it is probably doable from what I’ve seen. We might need to make sure the rest of the space is okay with should a one loud but vibration machine that will send pulses throughout the whole space. Like a hulk smash!

As I said before we need to consider the foundational issues. We have to fully understand what we have to do to anchor and protect the foundation from damage.

I spoke with Kelly Kring about the Little Giant last night at my blacksmithing class at Dallas College. He told me that they are great little power hammers but are especially dangerous. The springs are notorious for explosively coming apart. When they do 90% of the time they kill the operator. Yes that right 90% of the time the operator doesn’t survive the spring exploding.

In order to prevent this mishap they need to have a shield built to protect the operator from the spring. He said that he believes that are a lot of other nicer choices for our size and type of operation.

He’s actually used the very hammer we’re looking at. They were made many many years ago and finding parts for them can be difficult.

Just some more data to consider. Kelly know what he’s talking about. He’s the most experienced blacksmith I know.

No history there…

1 Like

We actually owned a power hammer not long after moving into the current building. Foundation issues (and a persistent oil leak) led to us getting rid of it before ever getting to use it.

The foundation issues might be resolvable now that Blacksmithing has moved to a different suite, but I’d do some investigation first both in the Board meeting notes and with the Landlord before making another purchase.

2 Likes

Sorry, could not resist…

1 Like

Another one 25 lbs

Okay on Thursday I will talk with the board more in detail about bringing one in. Definitely want one and that is a good price for one.