Liquid / solvent waste pick up service

With the fume hood in Science nearing completion, we will need to figure out a way to safely dispose of any solvent waste. I’m going to reach out to some chemical waste companies to get pricing, and I thought we might be able to consolidate hazardous waste pick up from other committees as well.

Does Makerspace have an existing system to dispose of liquid waste that you can’t pour down the drain? If not, would automotive, machine shop, etc be interested in having someone haul off liquid waste on a recurring or as-needed basis?

@Team_Automotive
@Team_Machine_Shop
@Team_Metal_Shop
@Team_3D_Fab

1 Like

I don’t believe that we’ve got any chemical waste disposal set up already. Technically, Ceramics shouldn’t be pouring glaze rinse water down the drain, and we don’t have any system to take care of that.

We just had our barrels emptied recently. It was just a one off service.

1 Like

Maybe all we need is a pick up once a quarter. Or on an as needed basis.
@TBJK what exactly do you dispose of… The coolant for the mills?
@dryad2b I found this handy document that some community college put together for handling glaze. Basically let the glaze settle and then transfer the sediment to a special waste drum that is picked up by the disposal service once a quarter. I’ll inquire about the glaze sediment disposal when I contact the waste management company.

GlazeandClayWaterManagement.doc (83 KB)

2 Likes

Yes the leftover coolant from the Haas. It was our first pickup ever.

2 Likes

Anodizing was previously disallowed due to the disposal of hazardous waste.

Might having a disposal service make anodizing possible?