Lighting in Interactive for Fine Art Classes

Hey there,

Yesterday during our Bob Ross painting class we ran into lighting issues and struggled seeing our paint on the canvas (especially different shades of dark colors). I’ve also noticed this during drawing classes when teaching about light and shadows, the light isn’t strong enough to showcase oil colors and object shadows.

I thought about photography lighting but wanted to open up to discussion on any ideas our SIG could try or use for enhancing our lighting in this room since this is the spot we hold majority of our classes in for Fine Arts.

Any suggestions?

-Gena

2 Likes

As a baseline question: where all the existing light fixtures working with a complete set of tubes?

Yes, but since the room has no windows, it’s still not strong light for our use.

I did talk to Mark last night and we may have a solution with production lights

1 Like

There are a number of fixtures in that room that have problems. Some of my least favorite fixtures to do LED conversions on. Will put this on my list…

6 Likes

Thank you, though I’m not an electrician :joy: if there is anything I can do to help in any way I will help!

1 Like

It’s pretty much a one person operation. What I remember of those fixtures is there’s a small sheet metal screw that holds the end piece that needs to be rewired. Easy to drop and lose track of. Hits the floor and disappears. Can’t put the fixture back together without it. There’s another fixture type that has snapped together end pieces. Almost requires mangling the fixture to get the end piece out and more mangling to put back together. Yes there is fun stuff out there. Expands one’s inspirational vocabulary. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I think we can borrow some of the many… many… photography lights in digital media?

We can pay in gf mint Oreos…

3 Likes

:rofl: yes! Those were the biggest hit!

I work for cookies all the time …

2 Likes

Well I can certainly bring cookies, and offer a free Bob Ross northern lights painting class? :woman_shrugging::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There’s the cabin!! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ll even add in a tray of homemade blueberry scones :joy: :yum: no bribes here 🫣

1 Like

Big shout-out to @artg_dms for the work he did rewiring interactive this weekend! We appreciate u!

3 Likes

Yes, thank you! Can’t wait to see the updates tonight!

Ah fixture retrofitting. Good times.

The original ~2016 LED tubes were mystery CRI. Could be worth buying some better-quality tubes for CA - 90 CRI is neither hard to source nor demands much of a premium nowadays.

However if the intensity is not sufficient with the status quo in good operating condition, a LED retrofit won’t move the needle much. Supplemental lighting may be required.

1 Like

There were 3 fixtures over in the far left of the room that needed led conversion. I think all fixtures in that room have been done. I did run across 1 fixture that had been done with a different type of led bulbs. I think the bulbs we’re currently using are a little brighter. Also came up with a way to deal with the bleeping itty bitty sheet metal screw that some of the fixtures use. Blue tape to the rescue… Connect the red wire to the black wire and all is good. Color codes need not apply. :smirk:

If you’re painting with multiple shades of some dark color, you may still need extra lighting.

Next on the list is finishing the purple rm. Also Rich @ozindfw worked on fixtures on the 102 side. Thanks Rich!

3 Likes

There are 4 LED lights and adjustable tripods that are part of the streaming cart that would be available for use. Lights and power cords are in one of the flat drawers, tripods in black nylon bags on side of the cart.

The cart is usually in the Computer classroom near the door, with the indicated drawer tending to be set on a side table for some reason…

1 Like

I was pulled away for work and saw that you had worked on the lighting in the interactive classroom already. Thank you, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it.

As promised those of you who worked on the lighting are welcome to join an oil painting class for no cost if it interests you or you can gift it to someone else!
If you’d like a gift certificate for someone, either way just let me know and I’ll send it to you.

The northern lights is coming to the calendar on Dec 16th, if approved, shortly. I’ll bring the scones too :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you and Happy holidays!
Take care,
Tara

[email protected]

2 Likes